Argh IR and options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Engali, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Engali macrumors member

So I've been reading about all these IR problems and thought that I was one of the lucky ones with an LG display that didn't have the issue. This was probably because a) I never ran an IR test and b) the rMBP would go to sleep after like 5 min. of inactivity.

Well, today I woke up, turned my rMBP, turned on Caffeine so that the rMBP would stay on, and did some dishes. I just came back and noticed some noticeable IR with from the two apps I had open. It was very noticeable when I went to a webpage where most of the background is gray. There's also this spot now near the left edge of the screen where, if the background is white, the spot is much whiter than everything around it. And now I'm noticing that the left edge of the screen has this pinkish cast to it.

So I'm assuming this falls under a manufacturer defect, although I read somewhere that Apple released some sort of statement saying that IR is normal now. So I want to weigh my options with special consideration towards resell value. I have Apple Care for this. Should I get it replaced now or should I wait until just before the next upgrade for the rMBP 15" and get it replaced then. If I go the latter route, I can say that the replacement I'm selling is new (assuming Apple replaces mine with a new one) and has a Samsung display (which I will make sure of). Of course, if I do this I will have to live with the issues until then.

How many times can I get my rMBP replaced due to manufacturing defects if I have Apple Care. I've read some people returning their rMBP like up to a dozen times, but I don't know if that was within the 14 day no-questions-asked period. Thanks for any help or guidance you can provide.

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If a laptop is returned it is more than likely within the 14 day period. That's normally what it will be when you see users talking about it being their 10th rMBP or whatever.

AppleCare is a warranty, there is no limit on the service. If your laptop is protected by AppleCare then the warranty will be honored regardless of how many times you have gone in for repairs. As far as getting it replaced, if I understand your question correctly - you are asking if it would be better to return it now or wait for a second gen 15'' rMBP and then return it? If so, they will most likely try to repair it when the second generation models come out before just handing you a newer model. If the repairs fail they will most likely offer you a replacement of the most recent build. I have read about users having something like a 2008 MBP repaired to no avail countless times and then finally just being offered a replacement MBP of the latest model.