Argh! iTunes help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sambarry, Jul 29, 2008.

1. sambarry macrumors member

sambarry

Newbie questions!

I hate iTunes, always have, akways will.

Got a Macbook a couple of days ago and i copies all my music from my server over wi-fi, nearly 50gb worth onto a file i created in my HD folder.

I then started copying them all onto iTunes, it got most of the way and then said there wasnt enough room to copy all the music over. Now, does iTunes create another full copy of the music file when you copy music on iTunes?

I've now deleted all the music off my Macbook and removed iTunes because it wouldn't le me delete the music off it.

It's all annoying!

Where is the best place to put music on my MacBook, as in, what folder shall i copy all my music into??

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

By default iTunes copies your music to the iTunes music folder when you add it to your iTunes library. If you'd rather store the music in a place of your choosing just turn that option off in iTunes preferences.

3. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

It's just making a copy of your music when you add it to iTunes, copy it over in small batches then add it to iTunes.

4. sambarry thread starter macrumors member

sambarry

So if i add say 50GBs worth of music, when i add it to iTunes, it will copy it all so i will lose another 50GBs of space?

5. Slyone macrumors member

Yes But go into itunes and go to preferences and you can choose to leave the files were they are and read off them but then you have to put those files somewere like music folder.

Hope this helps

To add files to your library without adding them to your Music folder:

Choose iTunes > Preferences, click Advanced, and then click General.

Deselect "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library."

6. dotcomlarry macrumors regular

Yes, unless you uncheck the "Copy to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" option in your preferences. There's also an option when you first run iTunes to let iTunes manage your library... uncheck that option.

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Why not just copy music from your server straight into iTunes?

8. sambarry thread starter macrumors member

sambarry