Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InfiniteLoop

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2005
So I have been looking forward to the new iPhone OS. Now it is out I want to update my 3GS, iTunes says there is a new version of iPhone software, click update to get it. But when I click it, it says "iTunes is upto date" WTF? iTunes seems be confused itself with iPhone. I tried to search to see anybody posted the same problem, could not find it. I have iTunes 9.1.1 (T2) on my MacBook pro. Anybody know how to fix this?

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
So I have been looking forward to the new iPhone OS. Now it is out I want to update my 3GS, iTunes says there is a new version of iPhone software, click update to get it. But when I click it, it says "iTunes is upto date" WTF? iTunes seems be confused itself with iPhone. I tried to search to see anybody posted the same problem, could not find it. I have iTunes 9.1.1 (T2) on my MacBook pro. Anybody know how to fix this?

You need iTunes 9.2

InfiniteLoop

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2005
iTunes 9.2 is the latest version I believe. Update to that first.

Well I tried, it says, it is up to date. I get the same message when I tried iTunes->check for update (it says 9.1.1 is current) and when I click update while I am on iPhone.

LimeyBastard

macrumors regular
May 25, 2010
Well I tried, it says, it is up to date. I get the same message when I tried iTunes->check for update (it says 9.1.1 is current) and when I click update while I am on iPhone.

Download the new version of iTunes directly from the Apple site and install it.

InfiniteLoop

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2005
Thanks guys, I went to Mac->Software update and it picked up 9.2. I expect it will fix the problem. I will find out soon :cool:

InfiniteLoop

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2005
OK, now it is working :D

Is there anything I should be aware of before I get the new OS? I will not loose anything I have on my iPhone right?

tigerfan1988

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2008
For the update to iOS4, everything is restored on the phone--so yes, you would technically lose everything. Make sure to back it all up and you should be fine.

notmymac

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Portland Oregon Area
I have taken far more calls from folks who have the upgrade go sideways that folks who have had problems with thier Iphone 4..

What I would recommend is that in addition to backing up, that you sync everything you can to external applications..i.e contacts to address book, calendars to Ical etc....

Please remeber that upgrading is a 1 way path with Apple..Once you upgrade you can't go back..I have been advising my customers to read about IOS 4 features prior to upgrading to decide if they will even use these new features..Mulit-tasking, Folders, and Threaded Email seem to be the features that people care about most...

Good luck

InfiniteLoop

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2005
Thanks notmymac & tigerfan1988, before the update I did backup everything just in case. I did go ahead and installed the new OS, all is well. it worked without a hitch. It is looks great and everything seems to be working much better, email sync used to take forever, now it completes before you know it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.