Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Obviously should have known better, but while visiting a newpaper site (herald.com, which is the Miami Herald), a dialog box pops up saying that a new version of Flash is available (the first feature listed is something about 3D sites, and it mentioned not having to restart Firefox to install). I run Flashblock on Firefox, but figured why not have the latest version of Flash, and clicked the download button. Fortunately, between then and the dialog box asking whether I wanted to run a program downloaded from the Internet, I vaguely remembered about these trojans, and clicked cancel, so I never ran whatever may have come next.

Since then I've deleted and reinstalled Firefox, searched for a preferences.dyld file (one website suggested) and then ran the following two commands in Terminal as suggested by a recent CNET article, and nothing has come up.

defaults read /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Info.plist LSEnvironment

defaults read /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Info.plist LSEnvironment

Is there anything else I need to do to make sure I didn't accidentally install this trojan (assuming it was one). I realize that virtually nobody recommends an antivirus software for the mac, but is this something that Apple's security system (I'm running Lion) would pick up and deal with automatically.

Sorry for sounding paranoid, but I'm just pissed that I was this stupid to even fall for this.

Thanks in advance!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Fortunately, between then and the dialog box asking whether I wanted to run a program downloaded from the Internet, I vaguely remembered about these trojans, and clicked cancel, so I never ran whatever may have come next.
That's all you needed to do. You would have had to complete the installation for your system to be infected.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
That's all you needed to do. You would have had to complete the installation for your system to be infected.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

Thanks. Really appreciate the confirmation that I was not a complete idiot.

Out of curiosity, do you know whether Lion's security features would have identified and dealt with this particular trojan anyway had I run the installer?

Again, thanks for the quick response!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Out of curiosity, do you know whether Lion's security features would have identified and dealt with this particular trojan anyway had I run the installer?
You can read more info about this trojan here, and many other sites, found by Googling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.