Argh....my dvd player is missing!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hmbebe, Jun 21, 2008.

1. hmbebe macrumors newbie

Hi

Just realised my dvd player driver is missing! I must have erased it! It is no longer in the application drive and when I try to open using the icon, there is a question mark on the icon. The error message appears when I try to click on it, saying he application is disabled or not installed.

How do I go about reinstalling just this? Which files in the original MacBook Mac OS X Install Disc do I select? Please help! Sorry, very beginner in Mac world!

Many thanks
    Bebe:(

2. KompleX macrumors regular

3. hmbebe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Komplex, tried that. It says a later update is in my hard drive but I can't locate it using spotlight! What kind of file should I look for? I used keywords "DVD player" and a relevant folder called DVD Player appears with two sub folders Scripts and Settings but these don't seem to do anything. Any advice?

Also, I re-install iLife 08 but strangely, this has not updated my iPhoto application (still using templates from old version) and when I tried again, it says I can't install it because I don't meet system criteria of Mac OS 10.4.9 or later which is rubbish because I used About This Mac and confirmed my version is 10.4.11.....what is the best way to do this?

Many thanks
    Bebe

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Try deleting the dvd player preferences file -
    users>library>preferences>com.apple.DVDplayer.plist

and then re-install the dvd player.

If no success then delete the preferences file again and re-istll dvd player from your original install dvd's using Pacifist to select the dvd player installer.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6812/pacifist#descContainer_link