Argh! New 13" MBP or previous revision 15" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by camshaft, Jul 31, 2009.

1. camshaft macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    I was a die-hard PC user (yeah, I was once sleeping in a dorm next to my overclocked fanless liquid cooled PC I built) but am now going to purchase a new MBP. I still have my desktop PC so this won't be a desktop replacement. I'm applying to dental school now and will need something very portable. While I was in college I often wished I had a notebook to grab and run with. I'm choosing the MBP more for the elegance of the physical package than for the OS. Because I wanted something thin and light I was naturally going to go with the new 13".

I then ran into a roadblock that has me pulling my hair out. My campus store just told me they're selling the previous revision 15" MBP for $1299, versus $1099 for the 13". I like the smaller size of the 13" and the longer battery life, but the 15" has the Nvidia 9600. For the $200 difference I can upgrade the RAM and HD on the 13" so that doesn't appeal as much to me on the 15".

I'll be using the computer for boring student-like things, but I do also like to do 3d modeling and occasionally play some not-so-new games like NWN 2. I think the 13" should still be able to pull off the last two though. Am I crazy for still leaning towards the 13" because of its size and battery life? Or is the 15" for $1299 instead of its original $1999 too good a price to pass up?

I realize no one may know which is better for me as well as I would, but when you're torn in situations such as this you feel better when you get other opinions. I also know that this may be a more appropriate question for the buying recommendations sub-forum, but I figured in here people would be more likely to know about the finer differences between the two revisions and the two sizes.

Thanks for any input!
    Austin

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

anything the 15" could do, that desktop could probably do better gamingwise anyway

I'd go for the new 13" b\c its more portable and longer battery life

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

What are the specs of the 15in Macbook Pro? Well since you already have a nice desktop PC, get the 13in Macbook Pro.

4. camshaft thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies guys! MacMini, it's the low end Rev. F 15in according to this guide:
    http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook_Pro

My desktop is 5 years old now, but as it was top of the line back then it's still adequate today. Besides, the cost of upgrading it would be minimal compared to the price of these macbooks.

Austin

5. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Hmm, you should still get the 13in Macbook Pro, great portability, up to 8GB of RAM, 7 hour battery, etc. The only advantage of getting that model of the 15in Macbook Pro is the dedicated graphics card, and maybe the expresscard slot if you need it.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Ignore the prices. Which computer suits you better, based on specs alone? If you really like the extra battery life and the smaller size, go for the 13" model. The processors are very similar in speed, and the 13" can actually support more RAM, although 4GB DDR3 modules are very expensive at the time of this post. The 9400M is a very capable chip for an integrated solution. I looked up NWN2's system requirements online since I don't own the game myself. I don't know how high you will be able to crank the settings, but it will definitely run fine on a 9400M at conservative settings, and probably above that. Don't expect miracles from it, but it's definitely capable of handling older titles at decent settings, and new games on lower settings.

The verdict: The 13" seems to be the Mac you crave.

7. camshaft thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I'll go with the 13in still. It's just frustrating when I see people selling their previous revision 15in's for the same price I'd get it new!

Austin

8. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Go for the new 13". The battery life is a huge factor.

9. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

the 13" battery cannot be ignored in my opinion, the decision between the current line up would be harder but the battery would more than swing it for me