arghh! abroad and iphone 3g doesn't work at all!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JackSpearo, Aug 26, 2008.

1. JackSpearo macrumors regular

when I arrived to Germany I switched my phone on, and it gave me numerous companies I could connect with, however, my phone can't connect with any of them, same situation in Spain...

I've reset the phone, network settings, rebooted the phone, and NOTHING works...

a guy next to me cut his on, no problem, everything on his worked fine...

and I really really need my phone

any ideas? I've probably tried about everything...

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

did you arrange roaming on your account before setting off? Also, if you want to use data you will have to turn data roaming on on the phone (watch out for high charges though!)

3. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Did you call your carrier and activate international roaming? I know that with AT&T you must have this feature active in order to be able to roam internationally and my experience has been they won't just allow everyone to have it and it is not turned on by default.

You need to have a good payment history and good credit in order to get it as the costs associated with international roaming are so high.

You most likely need to call your carrier and get this feature added. Hope that helps. And be careful because you can rack up a huge bill in no time.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yup, call your carrier to turn on international roaming. It may be too late though, you usually have to do it while on your home carriers network IIRC.