Arghh - MBP RAM Help!!! Won't boot after upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tatster, Jul 30, 2009.

1. tatster macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I recently bought 2 x 2GB Kingston RAM modules to upgrade my MBP from it's current 2GB (2x1GB) up to 4GB. The Kingston part number is KVR667D2S5/2G

When I swap over the modules, the laptop won't boot at all, just a black screen and the white LED just stays on.
    I've tried each module individually and in each slot but no joy.

Please can anyone help me? Am I missing something basic??

My MBP is a 2.5Ghz 15" model, MB134LL/A, which according to the specs can have "Up to 4GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM".

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You've got faulty RAM. Send it back for a replacement.

3. tatster thread starter macrumors newbie

I was wondering if this could be the case. Is there any way to be sure? other than swapping the modules around? Does the state of white LED indicate a RAM issue?

Thanks,
    Anthony

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Do just that. Put in one card at a time, try them in different slots. and all that. Also reset your PRAM.

5. tatster thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep tried that.
    What's strange is that if I put 1 old and 1 new module in it boots correctly and reports 3GB. I've tried this with both new modules, and it works for both of them. I also switched the slots over so I know that it recognises a 2GB module in each of the two slots.

It just refuses to play ball with both new modules, or just 1 new module on it's own. For some reason it only works when one of the old modules is on.

It's got me puzzled, and a bit annoyed really, as it should work up to 4GB.

Any other things I should try?

Thanks,
    Anthony

6. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Just throwing this out there but when I was researching ram for my computer I read about quite a few people who were having bad luck w/ Kingston ram in their macs. I guess if a second batch from them doesn't work then it might be worth it to try a diff. brand (crucial, owc, corsair)

7. tatster thread starter macrumors newbie

It may come to that!!

However I'm still confused by why each of the new modules works when paired with 1 old one, but the new ones won't work together???

Anthony

8. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

What about just 1 stick of the new one in 1 slot?

Seems like your new RAM pair doesn't like each other :p

9. tatster thread starter macrumors newbie

With just 1 stick of new, it doesn't work. It only works with 1 old and 1 new = 3GB rather than the 4GB I was aiming for.

I've never heard of sticks not liking being a pair before.

Anthony

10. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

I'd say exchange it especially if it doesn't work with just one stick of the new RAM in either slot.

As for the RAM not liking each other I was just thinking when I had a stick of Corsair RAM go bad on my desktop they advised me to send back both sticks to get a new pair just so they're 100% both the same because if I sent 1 the other might be slightly different and cause problems.