Arghh - Water/clearner on keyboard question (2013 15" rMBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JulesK, Dec 24, 2014.

1. JulesK macrumors 6502

So now I feel like an idiot. In an attempt to clean the screen of my 15" rMBP (2013), I got a large drop of iClear cleaner on the edge of either the F8 or F9 key. I think I soaked it up before much got into the case, and the keys seem to be working fine, but I turned the machine off and am hoping it dries out OK.

In looking at the teardowns, it seems that there is a some sort of membrane behind the keyboard, so any liquid that got under the key likely would not have made its way to any of the parts underneath.

Can someone (through hard experience or otherwise) confirm that? Many thanks.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I dont know any details only my personal experience. Small amount of Sprite got in my keyboard and it didnt do any damage.

3. hermagerd macrumors newbie

There is a black plastic cover between the inner parts of the computer and the keyboard, so it should be fine. Just be careful to not spill a greater amount of liquid on the edges of the keyboard or on the touch pad.

4. JulesK thread starter macrumors 6502

Many thanks for the replies! Next time: spray microfiber cloth, not screen, then clean screen.

5. hermagerd macrumors newbie

Good idea. I usually just scream really loud at people who tries to tap on my screen with fingers or pencils, so i don't really have to clean it so often.

6. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

You guys make me nervous with all these cleaning problems. I moisten a corner of a cotton cloth diaper, squeeze it, then clean the screen and wipe with the dry part of the diaper. Then use the moist part again to do keyboard and shell, then wipe with the dry.
    This is my fifth Apple laptop starting with a Wallstreet, and it's how I've cleaned every one of them.

7. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

your good

8. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

I was tired and cranky when I wrote this LOL. Up overnight being Santa.