Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mherz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
I know I should probably not ask this question here, but I will go for it anyway:

I am a half-newbie in this field: I composed a web page (for personal use) using GoLive. It is a very simple design, using mostly links & icons with 'mouse-over'. No frames, no flash, nothing special One idea that I took from another website is a header and footer bar which always show up on the top and bottom of the window.

Everything works fine in any Mac browser that I tried: Safari, Firefox, Opera, even the old MS Explorer. But, when I open it on a windows computer (at least one running Windows 2000 Prof.) it opens with lots of errors and doesnt finish loading. The 'mouse-over' icons doent load, a funny error message is displayed, and the header & footer bars are not displayed correctly.

What can I do? (I dont have a windows computer myself, only a friend notified me)

I put a simplified verson on the net. Anyone who is a pro in this, pleeeaaseee look at it and let me know what to do:

http://www.eruv.net/proj.htm

(I know that the links are dead, but that doesnt matter, that is not the point.)

Thanks a lot!!
mherz

ValGor

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2005
Re: Arghh! Why doesn't my web page work on Windows browsers???

Look for line
<script type="text/javascript" src="file:///Users/manuelherz/Library/Preferences/Adobe/GoLive/Settings7/JScripts/GlobalScripts/CSScriptLib.js"></script>

This is just not good. I am wondering how even your Mac browsers are working
(you probably loading this html from file, not from web browser? :)
What i see is bunch of errors like "CSAct is not defined". I think you have CSAct array defined in that JS file..
Simple way would be:
1. copy CSScriptLib.js into same folder on your web server where proj.htm is.
2. change line where you including it to
<script type="text/javascript" src="CSScriptLib.js"></script>

Have fun.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
I had same problem

I had the same problems, I to used GoLive v6.0 and found that Windows 98 didn't like my page using FireFox. What's funny is I took a cd over to a friend's house and had him open the index page off the cd, same problems. I laughed and said funny it works on Windows2000 and xp fine, must be the age of your OS. Then told him that it redenders fine in six different Mac browsers. Boy was he getting mad at this point. The icing on the cake was I told him the only validation errors were the lack of alt text for the image boxes. I would say that Windows OS has a lot to do with the problems you have.

mherz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
Great. Thanks for the advice!
I was testing it also live, from the net, not only from my local files.

I did the changes that you suggested. On the mac it works as usual. Does anybody have access to a pc, to quickly try if that did the trick?

thanks a lot!
mherz

dotcomlarry

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Akron, PA
I don't get any errors in Firefox on my work PC. Looks like the problem was that you were referencing a local file from a remote file.

Cheers.

ValGor

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2005
Looks more or less ok now.

No more javascript errors (I am looking in FireFox and IE on XP). mouseovers are working on images.
So you are ok there.
One other thing: in FireFox your red line "contact this is a test"
is in the bottom of the browser window (like it should be based on the name of the calss) , in IE6 under Windows (joy) it is right under your top menu. Well it is always fun how friendly Billy & Company are with CSS standards, but setting
bottom: 18px;
left:0px;
and changing position to absolute
in your status_bottom class definnition might help to make more ie friendly.

Have fun.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Try to create a new user on your mac and test it online from there. This will let you detect any errors caused by local file references.

Make sure that the new test user isn't allowed to read the home folder of the work user.

mherz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
great!
happy that the page loads without lots of errors now. You are right about the line wanting to be at the bottom. will try to fix as you suggested.

Hey, thanks a lot everybody for your help!!!

mherz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
Changes work in Firefox, but not quite in Safari

I did as you suggested with fixing it to the bottom, which works fine in firefox, but not really in Safari. Safari always adds scroll bars to the window and adds a black zone beneath the red footer.
any suggestions?

ValGor

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2005
Re: Safiri

mherz said:
I did as you suggested with fixing it to the bottom, which works fine in firefox, but not really in Safari. Safari always adds scroll bars to the window and adds a black zone beneath the red footer.
any suggestions?

I think your best and simplest shot is leave your ORIGINAL code OF THAT css and make changes i sugested conditional for IE6 only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.