Arghhhh!! Still I'm Disapointment... What to do next?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UltraNEO*, May 12, 2009.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sooo..... the story goes like this...

Just over a week ago I made the purchase of an Dell 3008WFP and I experience physical problems with the quality of the unit from the get go.. Perhaps some of you'll remember?

I've since had the unit replaced by my local supplier (thank you) and all is well! :) But you know? i'm not happy with it. Before I tried calibrating the unit by eye - that was a complete waste of time!! Then I calibrated the unit with a loaned Spydar 3 from my friend's design compnay.. Great i thought! After a couple of days of functioning fine the bleedin' unit failed completely!! :confused: The Dell logo appears but it refuses to find the input signal!! Aghhhh!!!!

I heard someone here mentioned dells were cheap! Trust me, if i'm paying nearly as much for this display as an Apple Display, I expect the quailty to be pretty good!! Apparentlt this ain't the case.

Anyway, Today I booked the unit in with Dell for an exchange they estimate the swap out will be within a week! As cause my supplier is out of stock.

However... what I'd wanna do is this. Once the replacement arrives, could i sell it off along with the warrenty? Or is that bind to the original user?

After, I'm thinking about buy another Apple display (third), they seem all the less trouble some, even though there's less input options and as they say "it just works" :D:p

Also... Will the MP be happy with two different ATI cards installed? Currently have a 3870 and a 4870 on order. I know it's perfectly fine with multiple cards installed but usually they're the same.

2. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Wow!! 217 views and zero comments or replies? :eek:
    I'm guessing either you guys don't know, can't be arsed or other... :(

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I'm waiting for a new 30" ACD from Apple myself. But I know that comment isn't that helpful to your problem. So yes I read your post but didn't comment since I wasn't all that helpful. :)

4. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

why bother with Dell if you alreadys have 2x 30 ACDs :confused::rolleyes:

5. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

At the moment there's Two MP's here and two displays. Ideally, I need another display to share with both systems, though primarily it'll be used on main machine.

Prior to buying a Dell, I posted a thread in the video/peripherals forum cause i was originally looking for a multi-format video switch/expander for uses with an ACD (i wanted to save some money) This why i can preview A/V on the third display, or alternatively use it for other inputs. Unfortunately, no-one responded :rolleyes: Seems to be the norm those days..

Anyway.. so i thought, "sod it, i'll get a Dell!!"

Little did i know the quality would be so freakin bad! I don't mean the panel, I meant the flaky build quality!! The way the front bezel attached to the rear, it ain't smooth!! It's just cheap 'n' nasty. Plus, knock the desk a little and the stand wobbles all over the show!! Arghh!

6. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I have this feeling the new display with have mDP as standard. Won't be suitable for users like me, who have invested heavily on older equipment... sure i can update but why? Besides, can't imagine Apple keeping it's next professional display matte, all their other display are pretty much glossy.

7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

In the past ATI drivers gave kernel panics with multiple ATI graphics cards installed and netkas I think made a work around for this. However, I've got two 4870s in my Mac Pro now with no patched kexts etc and it works fine so far. It may be that you have to use netkas' patches if you've got a display connected to the second display though, I can't test that since I only have one here.

8. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Occasionally, I have two display on one card, besides the graphics card becoming hotter, increasing temps in I/O zone.. everything is cool but I might need to, at some stage, connect all three to MP. That's when I wonder what would happen, if i add another card.

9. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Update!!!

Just an update follks. Today I received the replacement unit...

It doesn't appear to look like it's a refurb, it does look brand new! More importantly, compared to the original one, this unit seems to be perfect! On inspection, there doesn't seem to be any gaps in the casing that I can see and the stand isn't lopsided.. though it's still a bit wobbly but then again it is a huge beast.