Ariana Grande's 'Thank U, Next' Breaks Apple Music Record for Most-Streamed Pop Album in First 24 Hours

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019 at 6:31 AM.

1. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

WTF are you talking about? It's actually super rare for albums to be released that close together nowadays. Back in the 60s/70s it was common to release 2-3 a year, sometimes even 4 (like the Beach Boys did).

2. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

3. OriginalClone macrumors 6502

OriginalClone

What’s the record for AM streams? How many did she get in the 24 hour period. This just seems like free promotion for AM and her new music.

4. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Music of today sucks. That’s why I listen to decades stations on AM. Only thing I don’t like about it is the sound quality isn’t the best, and some songs are louder than others. So I have to keep adjusting the volume up and down.

5. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

6. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

Has she ever purported to be anything other then Italian?

7. madKIR macrumors 6502a

Wasn't it the point of my comment?! Re-read it!

8. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

It was? I'm confused.

9. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

I don't see that at all. Your comment is criticizing the current music industry (and millennials for their short attention spans) by releasing two albums within six months of each other. I countered it's actually the opposite and that was more prevalent in the 60s/70s and actually rare now.

10. jgdeschamps macrumors regular

And technically, Italians are latin, as well as people from Spain, France and Portugal.

11. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Peeked my interest, watched for less than a minute on Youtube, what a junk, like a bad movie, I would definitely run out the cinema in no time.

Huh

12. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

“Thank you, next”

What I say every time Ariana comes on the radio.

13. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

It's actually about a music album :D

14. NBAasDOGG macrumors 6502

NBAasDOGG

15. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Hm, I don't like the one mentioned in the article but common, plenty of really good music from the States, maybe BZN is better suited for you.;)

16. jgdeschamps, Feb 11, 2019 at 1:18 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 1:25 PM

jgdeschamps macrumors regular

Latins are people whose native language derives from latin. Has nothing to do with race. Spanish, italian, french and portuguese derive from latin.

Since she claims she is italian or from italian ascendancy, technically, she is latin. Though I don't know if she actually speaks that language.

Just messing around with some derogatory comment someone posted.

17. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

Based on what you wrote I did a quick scan of her Wikipedia page. It says her dad is Sicilian and her moms side is from another part of Italy. Her full name is Ariana Grande Butera which sounds really Italian lol.

18. jgdeschamps, Feb 11, 2019 at 3:16 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 3:22 PM

jgdeschamps macrumors regular

Indeed. She has a great voice, and I like her impressions on other performers, too. My daughter likes her character from Victorious and Sam & Cat. Ariana's a very talented girl.

19. jezbd1997 macrumors 6502

jezbd1997

It's still only 256kbps, it might only have very slightly better clarity..

20. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

Don't you dare !!!!!!

21. lec0rsaire, Feb 11, 2019 at 6:54 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 7:04 PM

lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

She totally ripped off the recent Volvo commercial with the excellent cover of My Favorite Things from the Sound of Music by sampling it on one of her tracks here.

I really don’t get all the fuss about her. She’s nothing more than a poor man’s 90s Mariah Carey. Everything she’s doing Mariah did better.

That doesn’t just apply to Ariana. The artists and bands of the 90s are objectively superior to those of today in nearly every genre. It doesn’t matter if we’re talking about alternative rock, pop, r&b, rap or even country.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 7:03 PM ---
    And it’s really more than good enough. CD and SACD still sound better (typically the low end and punch (what’s called presence)) but 256 AAC is enough for 90% of people out there. I have speakers with hi-res tweeters (40 kHz) hooked up to my Yamaha amp and all of the iTunes sounds great.

The FLAC or nothing crowd is a little bit ridiculous. I can guarantee that they wouldn’t be able to tell FLAC from AAC more than half the time.

If something does sound better it will be because the 320 or FLAC file came from a better master. Classic records usually have half a dozen versions out there between regional pressings and a remaster or two. There are databases out there that compile all of the versions and rate them based on dynamic range.

22. jgdeschamps macrumors regular

You are gonna hear exactly the same thing from people of the 80s: "Music from the 80s is superior to music from the 90s!"
    People from the 70s will say "Music from the 70s is better than music from the 80s!" How they measure that? I don't know.
    Every art changes in time due to new techniques, changes in the world, new philosophies, etc. That's what art is supposed to reflect. Want a trip to the nineties? First thing to do is listen to Nirvana, Boyz II Men, MC Hammer... and that's if you lived in the States. The world is filled with musicians/performers that reflect their reality in their time. Want a trip to the 1900s? Listen to Debussy, Ravel, etc.
    The point is that music is actually not objective, and much less a competition.

23. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

The artists and bands of the 60's are objectively superior to those of the 90's in nearly every genre. Prove me wrong. There, now, how does it feel?

Then again I enjoy listening to music across many eras, from Bach to old blues and jazz, to the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, 10's... I've listened to Beethoven, the Beatles, Bowie, Elvis, Hendrix, Santana, Van Halen, Talking Heads, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Pink Floyd, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Prince, Bjork, Beck, the B-52's, Fatboy Slim, and Primus today, as well as Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, and Nicki Minaj (and quite a few others). There's a lot of good music in every era (and plenty of drivel too). People latch onto the music of a then-current era, usually in high school, and seem to like to defend that as being the One True Music (while conveniently remembering only the good parts, forgetting the bad parts, and viewing other eras with a strong "get off my lawn" filter). They're invariably wrong on this. There's lots of good music out there, from every decade, not just the one when you were in high school. Including the current decade.

24. chirpie macrumors 6502a

chirpie

Yes, yes, and YES. 256 AAC for a stereo recording is plenty for amazing transparency. There are so many things in the signal chain that matters more at that point. The recording quality/mastering (A BIG one), the speakers, the noise floor of the room, the signal/noise ratio of the play back chain, and especially the shape / acoustics of the room will all become much bigger obstacles to the sound than the playback data rate and format once you hit quality ceiling of 256 AAC.

25. edgonzalez32 macrumors 6502

??? It's almost like it's an artists's job to create music, whether it's driven by money or passion.

That's like criticizing a painter for releasing new paintings too quick. What does a millennial have to do with that?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2019 at 8:49 AM ---
    Exactly, who cares when it's from. Some days, I think I grew up in the wrong era because of missing out on early Zeppelin and U2. But then again, there are so many good bands today. There's good music all around. And the best music is the one that you enjoy the most.

I can't stand when people feel the need to criticize the personal tastes of others. Let people enjoy the type of music, comic book, movie, tv show and book they want ffs.