Arizona monsoon storms, finally!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JNB, Jul 10, 2008.

1. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The monsoon is back to what it should be after several pretty lame years. Good storm right now, about 1.4 inches in the last couple hours in the Phoenix valley. NW of Wickenburg they're showing about 5-7 inches so far. I live in Glendale, about the center of the map.

Wind, lightning, thunder, torrential rain! I loves me some weather!

Attached Files:

2. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

I live in Glendale also.

43rd and Bethany home rd.

Where are you? :eek:

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

:eek: so now I'm very jealous. I love a good storm! In the UK we've been having awkward rain storms. It's chucking it down now but in the next hour it'll be blisteringly hot and not a cloud in the sky. You'll go out and it'll rain the moment you step out of the door.

I demand pics!

4. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

EEEEK I actually did not take photos... thought about it.. But the generator in my neighborhood was on fire and I walked down there in the rain wasting a lot of time.. but it did rain for about 3 hours and is stiiiil drizzling. Should do so thru tomorrow.

Sorry, but it was an amazing storm.

My pool had about 5.5 inches till the overflow limit and is now within 1-2 inches!!! its a gooood much needed rain! totally rocked looking forward to tomorrow and I go to Nashville on the 22nd til next month on the 5th!!!

lots-o-weather there!! :D

5. JNB thread starter macrumors 604

JNB

47th/Olive. Just a few miles! :D

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Arizona has monsoons? Really? Huh, you learn something new every day.

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...we had the beginnings of a good monsoon in Albuquerque one day last weekend but it sputtered out rather quickly - some good lightning and a downpour....oh yeah!

8. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I thought a monsoon was a wind system unique to the Indian sub-continent.

It just goes to show that you learn something new everyday - unless they've moved Arizona to India overnight without telling me! :eek: :p

9. tyranna macrumors regular

tyranna

another phoenician chiming in...

it was a fantastic light show! :cool: good grief, i can't remember the last time we had "real" rain in the valley. it was very much needed! however, last night's rain also predicts a serious BHD for me. :(

we still call it a 'monsoon'? silly me, i thought the name had gone through a change a while back. :confused: agh. *sighs* need. more. coffee.

10. JNB thread starter macrumors 604

JNB

Today's boring JNB Lesson... ;)

From ASU School of Geographical Sciences:

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Time of the season for the "Stupid Motorist Law" violators. ;)

12. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

Yeah seriously! I saw some dumb kid with a BMW Z3 on the news... the water was almost above his door panel. He was stuck in the pouring rain with the top down.... truly stupid motorist!

Countless other cars were caught in the rain also. you know you live in the desert when rain makes the news! :rolleyes:

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my gf is down in tucson for a tourney this week. she's supposed to leave today. i hope she's alright with the storm and everything. :\

14. tyranna macrumors regular

tyranna

even though i saw it plainly written :)D) on the link you supplied and on this page i found, i couldn't shake the notion that i'd heard about a name change. i did a quick google but was only able to retrieve a blog page that made reference to it. *shrug*

:confused: it would appear that idea went the way of the all-purpose square wheel.

@ placeofdis: safe return for your gf

15. JNB thread starter macrumors 604

JNB

Actually, there has been a change starting this year, just not the name, though. We historically have called the beginning of monsoon in AZ as after three consecutive days of dew point above 55 degrees F, which meant that the seasonal shift was about a 45-day window. The NWS hates this, so they declared that beginning this year, the beginning of monsoon is June 15, and the end is September 30. The original method didn't reflect the fact that monsoon is more about prevailing wind shift than dew point, and the new method is, well, just arbitrary.

All I know is I'm glad to have the weather back! :D

16. tyranna macrumors regular

tyranna

technical aspects aside, i too am grateful for the change in weather. though i do have to admit i had a difficult day convincing my hair that change is good. :rolleyes:

17. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Just gushed last night in Tucson. There is nothing like the smell of wet dust and creosote when torrential rain sets down on the desert.

I wonder if it will be a good year this year?

18. Super Intendo macrumors regular

oh man last night was beautiful, there was some amazing full-sky lightning.

too bad everyone drives so horrible :rolleyes:

19. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I was broke down at our Phoenix terminal for four days, my truck was fixed yesterday just in time for the rain to come. It was raining full tilt and I was out there in it cranking away at the landing gear of a trailer.

The yard guy came by and told me I was the first brave person he had seen so far (10pm). I told him, "I don't make any money sitting on my @**!"

I then changed into some dry clothes and hit the road.

Good times :)

20. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

I was on the 51 on the ramp to the 101 east and i could barely see yesterday! If it wasn't for the tail lights in front of me I would have hit one of those stupid construction posts