ARKit Roundup: Tesla Customization, Spatial Audio Recording, and Friend Locator [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 7, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

ARKit demos have been popular over the summer, showcasing the features that iOS 11 users will gain on their iPhones once the new software update rolls out worldwide later in September. Today we've rounded up some of the latest tech demos of the software development kit, which you can check out below.

In the first ARKit demo, augmented reality and user experience designer Jelmer Verhoog has created an app that lets users design and customize a Tesla Model 3 car. This extends to the wheels, paint, and interior of the vehicle, and even includes driving controls. While Verhoog's demo is focused on the Model 3, it's easy to imagine other carmakers using Apple's ARKit to help customers when they're on the hunt for a new vehicle.

The next demo, by Zach Lieberman, shows off an interesting use of augmented reality and ARKit -- it allows users to record audio through the app, which is then visually represented by waveforms in an AR space. To play back the audio, users can physically move through it, with the ability to listen to the recorded audio both forwards and backwards. Check out the video below with audio to see Lieberman's demo in action.

An app called "Neon" was showcased recently, and it allows friends to find one another in the midst of overcrowded festivals. The app's Twitter page says it'll be out "this fall," and it appears to use its own social network to add close friends, find them through their own iPhones, and present their location to users as augmented reality chevrons that are easy to track down.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: ARKit Roundup: Tesla Customization, Spatial Audio Recording, and Friend Locator [Updated]

2. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

God I really hope the Tesla Model 3 one comes out. Only way us on the UK will get to drive it before 2019 haha

3. Shlooky macrumors regular

The possibilities are endless!! I am amazed at the concepts that are being designed so far.

Good work!

4. Blacknight10s macrumors member

--- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2017 ---
    At first I thought magic leap would be the leader in Mixed Reality/AR (or even Microsoft with Hololens), but the fact apple Introduced ARkit it looks like this could be huge and can leverage these apps for future glasses/headsets

Follow @mixed_reality_hub on instagram for updates :)

5. jiggad369 macrumors regular

jiggad369

6. imran5720 macrumors regular

imran5720

Cool, now everyone have park an audi in front of their house :)

7. Exxhara macrumors member

Exxhara

wow the concert one is super cool because this always happens and would be super useful. I love the puzzle game one too. Just imagine AR for Jenga or games like that with friends. Would be super amazing to experience, especially if paired with AR glasses or something!

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

How we gonna be able to tell the difference between people talk to imaginary friends and friends in AR now...

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This rendering concept is awesome. Putting a virtual car in your driveway and customizing your way debunks visiting a dealer webpage just looking at web photos for me. Just another way for Augmented reality will be a game changer.

10. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Really cool! - specifically, Zach Lieberman's bit.

11. 2268473 Suspended

All very cool examples.
    I am excited to find out what hardware improvements the next iPhone will have that may work in tandem with ARKit.

12. kmanmx macrumors 6502

VCSEL :)

13. breather macrumors member

breather

I want to see a world builder app where a world can be built anywhere. A world that groups of users can take part of, join and collaborate on. Imagine a crazy futuristic world being built in your hometown, a hidden world.

14. Art Mark macrumors regular

Art Mark

The audio in space is really intriguing. Not that I know what exactly to do with it - but I hadn't thought of stuff like that at all.

15. morcutt11 macrumors 6502

morcutt11

They are doing some really interesting applications with the ARKit. I can't wait to see some of these become mainstream applications. Of course, I'm sure that we'll be hearing from some commenters here about how Samsung has had this for years and Apple is finally playing catch-up....

16. Unami macrumors 6502a

wow, the reflections on the tesla look great. and the "neon" app is one of the few examples so far (besides measurekit), that seem to make the awkward experience of up holding your phone as a lens for reality worth it.

17. BrentD macrumors 6502

The reflections are what got me. The car idea was cool, but when the angle changed and it moved, the reflections changing in real-time really wowed me.

18. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502

DocMultimedia

The sound visualization was amazing. I can't wait to see what developers create in the next year (and more).

19. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

That car demo... wow.
    We've seen the future of online-shopping.

20. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

That car demo, specially with the driving feature..wow!

Anyone else think we might actually get a few ARKit racing games? With small enough cars that we can build own tracks in living room, or just a car simulator of sorts!

This is giving me a bit of hype already! If someone releases AR hotwheels, I might go all kid again! :p

21. Blu Reel macrumors regular

Hmmm...more social interaction...through a tiny screen? As opposed to look up and see who and what is around you?

But, yeah, drivable Hot Wheels would be cool :D

22. bkaus macrumors regular

The festival finder app is interesting... but big festivals tend to have terrible cell coverage.

23. fabriciom macrumors 6502

fabriciom

This very cool looking eye candy but I just don't see any practical use of this. Feels like the 3D "sensation" mobile phones have which is just dying out.

24. Cameron Hood macrumors member

Cameron Hood

Please make the music stop...my god that's awful...why do they think we're all 17 year old girls? That is about as far away from any kind of music I would want to listen to as you can get. I'd rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboard.

BTW, I'm a professional musician with 40+ years of professional experience, and have two degrees in music. So yes I am an expert.

Cheers,
    Cameron

25. browncc45 macrumors newbie

browncc45

Museums, art shows, national parks, scavenger hunts, espionage, hidden music/books, and even malls...etc.

It'll be an amazing user experience when they either make the waveforms larger so that we won't have to be so precise in our movements or if they make them into a kind of chapter mark with minutes/hours of audio in 1 place while you stand still.