Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Arlo today announced that its Arlo Pro 3 smart home security camera system is now compatible with Apple's HomeKit platform.

A free firmware update is rolling out to Arlo Pro 3 systems with SmartHub model VMB4540 at this time, with support for other SmartHub models to follow. To update the firmware manually, open the Arlo app and tap Settings > My Devices > Arlo Pro 3 > Device Info > Firmware > Update.

ArloPro3_HomeKit_WithSmartHub2101.jpg

HomeKit support allows the Arlo Pro 3 to show up in the Home app on the iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch, and enables the camera to be controlled with Siri voice commands using an iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Apple TV, or HomePod.

Arlo Pro 3 features:
  • 2K UHD image resolution
  • 160-degree viewing angle
  • Integrated siren and spotlight
  • Color night vision
  • Two-way full duplex for audio
  • Magnetic mount for more flexible mounting solutions
  • Weatherproof magnetic charging cable
  • A free three-month trial to Arlo Smart included with purchase
Various configurations of the Arlo Pro 3 system are available on Amazon.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Arlo Pro 3 Smart Home Camera System Now Supports HomeKit

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
It took them really long! It's been released in September and HomeKit started rolling out in August.

Now I would hope it would support HomeKit Secure Video.

To those who asked the question : Unfortunately no, supporting HomeKit doesn't mean HomeKit Secure Video is supported through iCloud.

And Arlo plans are somewhat expensive.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
You couldn’t pay me to use anything from Netgear. Their firmware team is laughable when it comes to security as far as I’m concerned.
I doubt this is any different.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Then what's it do? I'm not trolling, I'm serious.
"HomeKit" enables you to see, control and automate all your smart home devices on the same screen.

"HomeKit Secure Video" enables smart cameras to record securely in iCloud.

Is 1080p being called 2K UHD now?
It's confusing. Arlo Pro 3 is better than 1080p. It's QHD - 2,560 by 1,920 pixels

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I am using HomeKit on my Pro 2. I can get a still picture of an event in real time on my Apple Watch S4. Nice. I would get a Pro 3. But, not paying 10.00 a month for storage.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Eufy (Anker) got theirs out the door first, and although the cameras aren't as spiffy, they're also way way less money (2 cameras plus base, $200 vs Arlo's $460).

Also, Eufy doesn't have a subscription plan to buy - you can remotely stream from the camera, or remotely view previous recordings, direct from the base station, and HomeKit Secure Video storage in iCloud should be along shortly (HomeKit access to the camera with push notifications and such works now).

It's confusing. Arlo Pro 3 is better than 1080p. It's QHD - 2,560 by 1,920 pixels
Arlo's page for the Pro 3 says 2,560 by 1,440.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
How many cameras can you attached to the Arlo while viewing them in Home app? Eufy has a limit of 4 cameras, is that the case with Arlo?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.