ARM Chromebooks- What happened?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Michael Goff, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Michael Goff, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016

Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Am I missing something here? Isn't ARM perfect for something as low power as a Chromebook? I know there are some lower cost machines that use weaker ARM chips and cost about 150$, but I'm thinking that we could use a higher end ARM chip (say an 820, MediaTek, newer Exynos) in one of these.

Instead, we get atom for the fanless, and maybe a Core M if the laptop is more expensive.

2. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Am I missing something? Because you seem to be referencing a particular laptop.

3. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I'm referencing the fact that we get almost no good ARM Chromebooks and a thousand and one Intel Celeron ones.

4. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Because x86 is more compatible and faster?!?

It's not rocket science.

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Probably because virtually all Chromebook manufacturers are Windows notebook/laptop makers. It's easier and cheaper for them to use existing stuff from their massive "parts bin" to manufacture chromebooks where basically they are Windows-capable notebooks but without the Microsoft tax. Swap out a harddrive for a 32GB eMMC module -> money saved. 2GB RAM vs 4+ GB -> money saved. non-touch screen (though that is soon changing) -> money saved.

I recommend sticking to rockets. :)

6. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

What does compatibility have to do with Chromebooks?

That makes sense. Thanks.

7. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

The Asus flip is a popular chromebook that uses an ARM processor (Rockchip RK3288C). Perhaps that's because it's small and doubles as a tablet.