ARM featured on the BBC

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by johneaston, Jul 2, 2011.

1. johneaston macrumors regular

In last week's episode of "Made In Britain" they featured ARM Holdings.

I've always understood that ARM just design and licence chips to Apple, Nokia, RIM, Google, MS etc. but a few things stood out for me.

1. Why don't these enormous companies design their own chips? How can some two-bit brit company do it better?

2. Why doesn't one of the larger companies simply buy ARM?

3. Did you see the ARM building? The most god-awfully dull looking place in the world. How can anywhere that looks like such a miserable and boring place to work create such a valuable product?!

2. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Its on the iPlayer then i guess. Will give it a watch later on. About time Britain had a good electronics business. (Other than B&W) :D

3. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Hehehe..... I wondered the same thing. Their offices looked absolutely terrible... and yet, such a great company!

4. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Don't worry. Over the next 2-3 years they'll have more money than they know what to do with. ARM is set for some major growth.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=ARM

5. vvswarup macrumors 6502a

ARM doesn't design the chips. It develops the processor architecture. Other companies like Apple license that architecture from RIM.

What's the point of buying out ARM?

All that glitters is not gold.

6. johneaston thread starter macrumors regular

Isn't that also known as designing? To quote their own website:
    "ARM designs and licenses fast, low-cost, power-efficient RISC processors..."

That's exactly what I'm asking. Why answer my question with a question?!

Very helpful.

7. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

The FTC/DOJ would not allow Apple to buy out ARM.

8. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Oh I have no worries about them at all. In fact, I've considered buying into the company for a while now. They're doing great.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think that "don't judge a book by its cover" would've been a more appropriate saying. All that glitters is not gold suggests that just because something looks good at first glance doesn't mean it actually is good.

Lethal