ARM's Cortex-A15 Architecture Will Make Your iPhone 4 Look Decrepit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nhlducks35, Sep 9, 2010.

1. nhlducks35 macrumors regular

"ARM is the company you can thank for your smartphone's heroic guts; their chip architecture underpins Qualcomm's Snapdragon, Samsung's Hummingbird, and iPhone 4. Soon, you can also thank them for making chips five-times more powerful than those with Cortex A15.

Here's what we've got in store when Cortex A15 chips finally launch: up to 2.5GHz speed (top smartphones currently max out at 1Ghz). Dual or quad core configurations. And that five-fold performance boost, all without sacrificing power consumption.

ARM's Cortex-A15 Architecture Will Make Your iPhone 4 Look Decrepit

In short, as GigaOm points out, this could be a shift that redefines the mobile space—and it's coming soon. ARM's announcement of their Cortex-A15 comes in the immediate wake of the launch of their Cortex A9 architecture, and we could see it in handsets as soon as 2012. Just in time to handle the widespread LTE and WiMax implementation that's already been rolling out in a major way. We have seen the future, and it is very small and very, very fast."

http://gizmodo.com/5633719/arms-cortex+a15-architecture-will-make-your-iphone-4-look-decrepit

Do you think that we could be seeing a dual core iPhone 5 in 2011?

2. Fuzzy.Dunlop macrumors regular

Probably not

3. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

This sounds awesome. I can only fast an iPhone at 2.5 GHZ would be :eek: Bring it on!

4. Savor Suspended

Savor

That's why I am hardly OCD about my iPhone 4 anymore. I know it won't be the last phone I will ever buy. Already trying to map out my future cell phone purchases. I believe iPhone 7 (2013) might be my next iPhone. Upgrade every three years from original to 4 to 7 and then maybe to 10 (aka iPhone X). I think Apple will make the 10th gen feel special.

I predict a 64GB iPhone will come out in 2011 and 2012, but no 128GB yet. Possibly by 2013 when the 7 comes out, we get 128GB just in time for the A15 and the new LTE/WiMax 4G era.

My iPhone road map -
    2007 - iPhone (got mine in 2008)
    2010 - iPhone 4
    2013 - iPhone 7
    2016 - iPhone X (perhaps my final iPhone)

In between the years, I will try an UNLOCKED Android and Meego phone. Android will get faster hardware upgrades because there are so many manufacturers just like in the desktop computer market with Windows and Meego looks promising from the Nokia & Intel partnership. I plan to purchase one kickass phone every single year starting with the iPhone 4, but I don't plan to upgrade to an iPhone every year. Very minimal upgrade year to year. Give it three years. I love my current iPhone 4, but I know it isn't forever and ever. The brand name will eventually run its course like the PlayStation brand. Only a matter of time before another OS supercedes it.

5. chembox macrumors 6502a

Imagine the battery power it would consume/require. :eek:

6. aohus macrumors 68000

whoa there buddy, ARM-Cortex-A9 isn't even out yet and you're assuming that iPhone will come with Eagle (ARM Cortex-A15) processor in 2011? LOL

This won't be coming until probably 2013 earliest.

7. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

We'll likely see a dual core A9 iphone next year (2011) clocked 0.8-1.2 GHz. In 2012, there may be a core revision, but it will still be a dual core A9 (big upgrade will probably be LTE support). 2013 would be the earliest we see an A15 variant.

8. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Apple never puts the latest and greatest processors in their products (just ask people who just bought the latest 13 inch MBP). They run what's out there into the ground while making the OS more efficient. Once prices have come down sufficiently, then finally upgrade. In fact, I would be surprised if the A4 is still in the iPhone 5, maybe running at it's normal clock speed (1 GHz).

9. aohus macrumors 68000

A4 is SoC of ARM processor. ARM processors will be running on almost all mobile devices, including Android handsets/Windows Phone 7/iOS/Symbian, etc

10. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

While this may be true in the desktop/laptop sector, it is not for smartphones.

Apple ran the best core out there for the original iPhone. They upgraded to the cortex A8 within a few months of the first smartphone to use the A8 (palm pre), and were the second to do so. With the A4, they were the first to use a 45nm A8 core in the smartphone market. Samsung is the second with their Galaxy S lineup (the Hummingbird core is the same as the A4 since Samsung builds it for apple).

Apple has repeatedly showed a commitment to making the hardware of the iphone equal or better to the best competition in the market. This is only further evidenced by the fact that it has a better camera, more RAM, and an IPS display versus TN compared to the iPod touch. The subsidy pad allows them to pack the latest and greatest into their phones. Why? Because it's a volatile market that's still rapidly growing. To not be ahead of the hardware curve could mean crucial losses in market share. It doesn't make sense for them to not stay on the leading edge of smartphone hardware.

11. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Dont know about iPhone, but Android will have a Dual Core processor.

http://androidandme.com/2010/09/phones/samsungs-dual-core-cpu-orion-coming-to-galaxy-phones-this-year/

Samsung’s dual-core CPU Orion coming to Galaxy this year?
    Taylor Wimberly on Sep 07 at 2:26 am34 comments

Samsung’s dual-core CPU Orion coming to Galaxy this year?

Not to be outdone by NVIDIA, Samsung also went ahead and announced their next-generation dual-core CPU for smartphones. Named the Orion, it will feature a pair of 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 cores paired with an enhanced GPU that offers 5x the the 3D graphics performance over the previous generation Hummingbird.

NVIDIA is also claiming 5x graphics performance of previous generation single-core CPUs, so it will be interesting to see these two processors go head-to-head and find out who comes out on top. Little is known about the complete architecture of NVIDIA’s Tegra 2 system-on-chip, but Samsung could have the advantage with modifications they have made to the ARM Cortex-A9 reference design. Samsung included several bonuses like a 1MB L2 cache to optimize CPU processing performance, added support for DDR3 memory, and features an onboard native triple display controller.

Samsung has been using a PowerVR SGX GPU from Imagination Technologies, so it’s likely we will see the next-gen version being used with the Orion processor. I haven’t heard of any units shipping yet, but the Orion could be the first system-on-chip to get the new SGX Series5XT GPU (which is rumored for a wide range of SoCs from Apple, Intel, Sony, TI).

The Orion will be available to “select customers” in the fourth quarter and mass production will occur in 2011. This means Samsung will use their own CPU in the next generation of Galaxy smartphones, which I expect will launch before Christmas. Some analyst had claimed Samsung had a Q4 hole, but you have to be crazy to think the nations largest handset maker would miss out on the important holiday shopping season.

Another possible customer for the Orion processor could be the rumored Playstation phone from Sony Ericsson. The Sony Playstation Portable 2 is also rumored to include the PowerVR SGX Series5XT GPU, so it makes sense both devices would be based around a similar platform.

Qualcomm and Texas Instruments have also said they would have dual-core CPUs available in Q4, but we have yet to hear any official product announcements. HTC is working with the new dual-core Qualcomm in the HTC Glacier device, but we know it’s Adreno 205 GPU will be less powerful than the current Samsung Hummingbird. We could also see TI’s OMAP4 in a Motorola smartphone this year, but once again that GPU is the same as the Hummingbird (SGX540).

Who do you think will produce the best dual-core processor for smartphones this year? Will it be NVIDIA or Samsung?

12. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Sounds cool, but it really is ridiculous if you think about it.

A dual core pushing that kind of speed that supports a higher 3D resolution than the Playstation 2 (on top of being a phone and touchscreen device and camcorder and GPS, etc).

It is no wonder that these things suck down power like crazy. I foresee phones getting all huge again just to accommodate the larger batteries.

How long before your phone weighs as much as a point&shoot camera because of the huge battery?

iPhone4 is already heavy enough to bean someone with pretty good!

13. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

This stuff wont be out until late 2012. they're only just licensing the architecture now, it's mile off from production or being implemented in a phone effectively

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh, one of the main reason the whole mobile industry is going ARM is because that architecture is designed for power savings.

15. Savor Suspended

Savor

The fact this new chipset doesn't sacrifice power consumption is its biggest draw. I just wished battery life advancement can progress just as fast as these chips so we can have a true dedicated gaming phone.

But the future of cell phones looks rosy for everyone and technology won't remain stagnant and get boring. Even our fav food, we eventually get sick to our stomach after awhile eating it almost everyday. We have a fickle nature. Always looking forward to the next big thing. The nature of the game. I really hope iPhone will get a 10th generation version by 2016. Look at the iPod classic. We should be by the 10th gen iPod THIS year, but Apple seems to want to phase out the classic model that started it all with no update, not even a GB boost. The iPod will officially turn 10 next year, but everything is moving to touch screens now. You can only do so much when improving something close to perfection.

2010 - iPhone 4
    2011 - Nokia N9 (unlocked) or PSP phone
    2012 - Android phone w/ a min 2Ghz speed (unlocked)
    2013 - iPhone 7, 128GB (2.5Ghz?)
    2014 - Another non-iOS phone (unlocked)
    2015 - Same as above
    2016 - iPhone X
    2017 - 2020 = Repeat pattern

There is always another great phone out there for the future...

16. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

It's obvious that it wont be for smartphons, maybe tablets ,but I doubt that too.

I think it will be used in nettop computers to compete with the Intel atom.

Something like this:

[​IMG]

Though some Android phones from HTC are being predicted to having dualcore 1.2 and 1.5 ghz cpus in 1Q if 2011.

17. aohus macrumors 68000

wow you have no idea what ure talking about

18. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

No idea, ha!

Dual core snapdragons are coming out in the first quarter of 2011 for Andoird phones which will be running around 1.2ghz and 1.5ghz they will also be dual core. If you really think were going to see 2.5ghz smartphones it's just common sense so I would have to say you don't know what your talking about.

Source if you dont believe me.

EDIT:

Any smartphones are not desktop replacements they don't need a 2.5ghz cpu, they need to start upgrading the gpu.

19. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I don't understand why the OP is so combative in his original post. If the iPhone 5 is substantially better than the iPhone 4, I'll buy it. Big deal. Until that happens, the iPhone 4 is the device to beat.

20. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

that's all nice but battery life will be crappy.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

do people read articles or just immediate hit reply without thinking? That was rhetorical...

And that five-fold performance boost, all without sacrificing power consumption.

For those that missed it.

22. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

Seriously people what the F@ck does anyone need a processor anymore powerful than whats currently available & used in Smart Phones?

Mans obsession for MORE will destroy the Planet its coming but unfortunately most are blinded by the obsession for MORE that they don't realize it or frankly just don't give a *****:(

23. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

For the same reason people buy BMW's,Porsches,Corvettes and other high end sports cars even though the maximum speed allowed on US highways is 65-75 MPH.

24. chembox macrumors 6502a

Seriously, we should have just ended with Pentium I processors with your mindset, I wonder where we would be at now. :rolleyes:

Technology is always evolving and becoming more efficient/smaller. High end computers can't even properly predict weather forecasts, so why do you think we need to stop here?

25. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Hardware and software evolve together. The processors in the first cell phones could not handle the processing the multi-touch (and many of the other behinds the scenes processes going on) the first iPhone used. Apple needed to wait for the hardware to catch up to their vision of how the phone should work and interact with the user.

Better hardware allows software developers to create ever more expansive and advanced features and interface designs. Desiring a faster processor with each revision isn't simply to claim "the top of the processor mountain" with bragging rights; it's telling software developers they have more resources to work with and expand their vision.