Arnold Palmer accident

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghostlyorb, Apr 3, 2011.

1. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

Hey guys. So this is one of those "I spilt something on my computer, now what?" posts. But while working at a media event, someone had spilt their drink on my MBP. It was just a little bit, and we cleaned it up fast.

Right now, everything is working alright. I had turned up the fans using smcfancontrol to full RPM to help dry it out (after i turned it back on). Now, everything works, just the keyboard doesn't light up on MOST keys =/ and all the key are sticking because of the sugar from the drink. I also notice my computer to be running a lot hotter than usual. I think some of the vents might be clogged or something.

The people who hired me, are looking into wether their insurance will cover the repair of my computer or not.

I'm getting a new MBP anyway for college soon. I wanted to give this to my parents to use. What would I need to have fixed, if the insurance will pay for it? A new keyboard? or a heavy cleaning?

My computer is the 2009 model with no AppleCare.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why don't you search the forums? You turned the machine back on? HUGE mistake.

3. ghostlyorb thread starter macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

Like I said, I was working. I NEEDED my computer. I took the chance. It's just the keyboard that is acting the worst. And the fact some of the vents are clogged. lol

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

There's a great chance you're just making things worse. Why not finish working on another computer?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Ask the person who spilled liquid on your computer to pay for the damages.

6. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

All I can say is that if their insurance doesn't cover it make sure as hell they pay for it. Do not accept anything less than full compensation of a working MBP (repair or new) for something that happened on their time caused by someone other than you.

7. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

How about you take it in to your local Apple Store and have them look at it? :confused:

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Give this laptop to the people responsible for the spill and have them buy you another off craigslist or ebay, same model, year, etc.

9. wpotere Guest

Yeah, bad idea....

OK, first, it should be covered by their insurance. If it isn't then they need to either repair it or buy you a replacement (EBay and Craigslist are bad ideas and you are entitled to better) especially if it was one of their employees that caused the damage.

As for the laptops current condition; it sounds like it was a little more than a "small" spill if some of that got into the system. Likely the keyboard will need to be replaced. They could try to clean it but generally there are several layers of plastic in there and getting all of the soda out and getting it dried would be a royal pain. If soda did get on to the system board, it will need to be cleaned (circuit card cleaner) to remove the syrup as it will start to corrode.

Bottom line is that they owe you. Document EVERYTHING (photo and details on how it happened) just to cover yourself.

10. ghostlyorb thread starter macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

I was operating a digital sound board for a youth event that a church was having in our auditorium. And I had my computer running the boards software so I could use my iPad to adjust sound from on stage getting the monitors balanced and such. And I didn't have another mac around to use. I also needed my music and to use Audacity to record.

I said, "small spill".. because it wasn't a whole lot. I know that the intake vent for the computer is in the keyboard, so some of them are clogged. I can tell from iStat Pro that my computer is running about 20 degrees (F) hotter. And since it was a church event, that they paid me to work in.. it BETTER be covered by the church's insurance. I have to wait until tomorrow to find out. My parents are making me wait until I hear back from them before I order my 2.3GHz i7 MBP. I at least hope I can get some money.

And how would I go about getting a new keyboard installed? Take it to the Apple Store? The nearest one for me, is over an hour away... so I will go there only if I know they can help me out. I'll have to call later.

11. ghostlyorb thread starter macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

There were several witnesses to it... including people close to the pastor who was in charge. So everything is good with the documentation.

12. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

You can search these forums, but typically the negative effects of these kinds of spills linger well beyond the initial assessment - in your case, increased heat and a malfunctioning keyboard backlight. The sugar from the drink will continue to corrode the internals of your MBP and will likely shorten it's life.

Depending on the extent of the spill, you'd be looking at a new logic board, which is nearly the cost of the computer itself.

Liquid spills are death knells for laptops more often than not, I'd expect a replacement from them. They can probably sell your damaged one on ebay to recoup some of the cost.

13. /user/me macrumors 6502

if their insurance doesn't cover it, you can always shank a bitch. metaphorically, of course. :D

14. wpotere Guest

Sounds like everything is good. The worst that I think will likely happen is that you will have to take it to get it repaired and then provide them with an invoice to get it paid. Should be easy enough... Good luck and keep us posted. :cool:

15. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Take it in and invoice the person responsible... hope everything works out for you.

16. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I agree with this.

Take it to Apple, tell them what happened and let them assess.

Once they give you the cost estimate, turn it over to the event organizers.

They should have insurance, and this should be covered.

Forget that " let them buy one off Craigslist/Ebay same model same year " crap.

It's a legitimate claim, if they replace it, it will be replaced with new or new cost minus depreciation.

17. systole macrumors member

systole

X2. THis really is your best route, as long as the incident was documented well, which it sounds like it has. Make sure the conversation stays professional.

18. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

This thread sparked my interest because I love Arnold Palmer's tea/lemonade drink. Best drink on the market today. :)

However, it's a sugary beverage, as noted. If this were water, and the only effects were what happened now, I'd say you may have survived. This however, severely shortened your computer's life.

Vents did not get "clogged" from this liquid. Motor oil is thicker, and does not clog lines. There was serious damage done causing the heat, and clogged vents are not it.

19. iMacC2D, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017