Around-ear headphones comfortable like Bose?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TheStrudel, Jan 19, 2010.

1. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I realize this isn't an audiophile/audio enthusiast forum, but I don't want to make an account at another forum to ask a question I'm sure some people here can answer.

I've tried many different headphones (not earbuds, I already have a decent set of those), and I've yet to come across a set as comfortable as the Bose around-ear headphones. But I really don't want to pay Bose prices for them. Like many, I regard Bose as being unnecessarily expensive for what you get. Audio quality doesn't need to be amazing (just good), because the DACs on iPods are not the greatest in the world, anyway, and I won't be using these as monitors.

But which manufacturers/models produce headphones that are as comfortable as the Bose Around-ears and similar in terms of that approach to comfort? I haven't seen/worn them yet, but I'm sure some of you have.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I found the Panasonic RP-HTX7's to be extremely comfortable and the price to be amazing. Beyerdynamics come to mind for comfort, but not for price.

3. jamesraward macrumors regular

jamesraward

Sennheiser 555 are good, and if you shop around you can get a decent price. They're nowhere near as light as the Bose though.

On the subject of Bose, I find their sound to be amazing when you listen to the (probably optimized) demos in store, but not that good when you get it home.

4. TheStrudel thread starter macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I don't want bose for the sound quality. I've read (and seen) enough. I just want something as comfortable, as I've yet to pick up a pair as comfortable as those. I'll look into your suggestions.

Are they as comfortable, you think? Weight and all that won't bug me, I'm just looking for a level of wearable-for-hours-on-end comfort similar to those bose headphones.

5. jamesraward macrumors regular

jamesraward

I've used/owned the following:

Sennheiser 477 - comfortable, bit cheap, light, good sound, open-back
    Sennheiser 465 - very comfortable initially, great sound, heavier but the lycra skin over my ears started to hurt after about an hour. Initially they were incredibly comfortable, might just be my ears.
    Sennheiser 555 - very comfortable, no lycra skin and great sound - heavier than the 477 but worth it
    Sennheiser 595 - same as above, but sound better
    Sennheiser px100 - got these for out-and-about listening, regret it as they start to be a pain after a bit as the cushions aren't porous
    Sony MDR v150 - cheap, not great, not very comfortable
    Sony MDR xd200 - not comfortable, not great sound, feel cheap
    Grado SR225 - AWESOME sound, feel cheap though (despite the price) and are uncomfortable after a while
    Grado SR80 - brilliant sound, better comfort, still not my choice

Over all, the 555s are the weapon of choice for me, though those Panasonics are tempting for the price.

I'd go to a good hifi place, take a few cds, test them out in their listening room, that's what I did

6. svndmvn Guest

sorry for hijacking the thread, are there any good ones, around-ear, iPhone compatible with at least the button for changing songs, possibly the mic too? For cheap?
    thanks

7. jamesraward macrumors regular

jamesraward

Honestly? I'd just solder some better headphones on to the iphone lead. The standard phones are dreadful (and fall out of my ears - personal flaw) and aren't worth keeping as they are. I know there's an iphone version of the Senn px100 though, but I won't be buying them again.