Around the world trip suggestions...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by patin22, Dec 7, 2007.

1. patin22 macrumors member

So I recently sold my business and I want to take a little time off. My plan is to travel around the world in about 3 weeks. 18-20 days, starting and ending in Las Vegas with 4-5 different stops.

My definites are London, Amsterdam and Tokyo. My maybe list: Interlaken (snowboarding), Kiev, Delhi, Prague, Frankfurt, Nepal, and Sydney. I feel like 3 days should be enough for each. I'd really like to hear opinions on these choices.

I plan on bringing the usual assortment of gadgets - especially with such long flights. Macbook, iPhone, Nintendo DS lite, Motorola Slvr with sim cards, digital vid/still camera, an Etrex Legend GPS and, of course, an assortment of chargers and power inverters. Will I be able to make calls using the iPhone in London?

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

pay attention to the amount of travel time you'll have to devote to getting from one place to the next, that can chew up a lot more time than you might hope.

Why Frankfurt? Of the cities on your list, that one has the least appeal to me anyway.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I'd at least add these places to the list.

Paris, Reykjavik, Oslo, Stockholm, Madrid, Moscow, Nairobi, Lagos, Rome, Mumbai, Bangladesh, Chiang Mai, Kuala Lumpur, Tokyo.

You would be able to use your iPhone in London and probably most places around the world but the charges would probably be huge (watch out for data charges as these are especially harsh), I'd use the slvr with the most appropriate sim card.

4. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Why don't you just unlock the iPhone and use only that?

Other than that, I think that Rome, Paris, Moscow, St.Petersburg are definately a must see. Will think of more.

5. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I would add Singapore, Budapest, Santorini, Czesky Krumlov, Byron Bay, Dar es Selaam and the Bay of Islands to your list. Who am I kidding, I could add a lot more, there are just so many amazing, unique places to see in our great world. If anything, I would say stay a way from the really touristy, commericalized centers - you don't get to really experience the true country, culture, people and history that way. The road less traveled is always more rewarding, take it from an experienced backpacker and world traveler. :cool:

For your type of trip though, I suppose it may not be feasible... you may just want to hit some of the larger centers and leave it at that...

Oh, and you'll love Prague. :)