Arrandale MBP Sleep or Shutdown

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ECUpirate44, Jun 2, 2010.

1. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Before anyone says anything, yes i looked at mroogle but there is not a thread about this topic after 08.

So whats the deal with sleeping the mac vs shutting down? i've noticed I shut the computer down whenever I am not using it. Its not a big deal for me, it takes all of 20 seconds to reboot. From what I have heard, it may damage the HD from the "jolt of electricity" given to it upon start up. Any truth to this?

I guess I could put it to sleep when I am not using it throughout the day but at night is the common practice to shut down or sleep?

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Mirabella macrumors regular

There was a similar thread, just yesterday. (I'm not blaming you, by the way. Sometimes it can be difficult to come up with the right search terms and find the results you want.)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=925856&highlight=

I don't know about a "jolt of electricity" upon start up which can damage the drive. Nonetheless, I just close the lid and put it into sleep mode, when I'm not using it (including overnight). That's aways worked fine for me, both with new and old Mac laptops.

3. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

4. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

its all down to personal preference. personally i use sleep mode, but if shutting down works for you then do that. its up to you

as for the "jolt of electricity" thats not true because the hard drive is completely powered down whether the computer is in sleep mode or shut down, but the extra 20 seconds that the hard drive is working to boot up can technically cause more wear. in this time the hard drive is working at full capacity, and 20 seconds per day over the life of the computer could end up being a fair bit of wear. i dont think it really matters though