Arrange by date options

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DamoRed, Oct 27, 2009.

1. DamoRed macrumors member

Hi all,

I've got a folder of files which I add to on a weekly basis, by dragging the file in there, and it just goes to the bottom. So when I open the folder, all the most recent stuff is at the the bottom of the folder. Now I've got a problem since I updated to Snow Leopard. When I opened that folder, everything was arranged alphabetically, and arrange by date makes the newest go to the top.

Is there any way I can adjust this so that it reverses, like when you do a search for something and you arrange by order, ascending or descending?

Thank you

2. marzy macrumors member

Yes when you are viewing your files in list view click on date modified along the top. Clicking on it again will alternate between ascending and descending.

3. DamoRed thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick response, Marzy.

One thing I should have specified, was that I only use grid view. :eek:

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I'm assuming you mean Icon View.

I've noticed the same thing in OS 10.5.8 about arranging by date. I've even tried switching to List View, reversing the chronology, then switching back to Icon View. It doesn't change. The only "solution" I've found is to hit arrange by date again whenever a new file is added to the folder, so it will be first instead of last, conforming to the order established by the man inside the machine. I'd like to define the reverse order too.

5. jojojo11 macrumors newbie

hope this thread is still active

Does it mean in 10.5.8, the newest files will come to the bottom when i hit the arrange by created date twice? I tried it seems doesn't work for mine...:(

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No, it doesn't work that way. In Icon View or Column View, you can only have arrangements from the top down. If you want a reverse arrangement, you have to be in List View or Cover Flow View.

What I meant in my previous post is that a new addition to a folder usually gets tacked on at the bottom (in Icon View) - perhaps always. Now, maybe that's where I want it to be, but if the folder has been sorted with Arrange by Date Created, the second newest will now be the first one at the top. So, in order to make the newcomer conform to the arrangement, you have to Clean Up or do Arrange by Date Created again. That will move the new guy to the top. :(

That's kind of counter-intuitive. I guess there's not a way to force a new icon to the top based on the Date Created arrangement. If that's the case, it puzzles me why they didn't make Date Created put the newest at the bottom to begin with.

7. jojojo11 macrumors newbie

It has been bothering me quite long time... I think of M$ at this time:(

What I done is, after accidentally hit clean up or arrange by date created, I move the files from that folder to another, row by row from oldest to newest so it become the oldest at the top and move back the whole batches of rows and columns back to the original. All manual, yes stupid, painful and hope Jobs will look at this:apple:

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Another approach would be to force it to arrange by date with oldest at the top using Arrange by Name. You'd have to adjust the file names. Start with 111 Oldest File then 112 File, etc.