Arranged by recently added?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by WarMachine, Dec 29, 2008.

1. WarMachine macrumors member

WarMachine

I was trying to find a way for items in a folder to get sorted by recently added. In other words, I would like a certain folder to sort everything in the order I throw them in. The problem is that all the items have different dates, names, size, etc., so the usual sorting methods don' achieve what I want and I would prefer not to have to modify the item names cause it gets confusing with all the items I have. The way the folder behaves by default also starts to fail when you reach the maximum window size, it starts to put some items on the right side and others on the bottom, in no particular order.

I was thinking of using a Smart Folder or Automator, but nothing I've tried seems to work. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

2. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I don't think that "Date added to folder" is one of the fields of informaton which Mac OS stores about files.

Also I don't see how Smart Folder or Automator will help with the problem.

I think the nearest you're going to get is "Keep Arranged By" > "Date Modified" or "Date Created".

3. WarMachine thread starter macrumors member

WarMachine

Date created is out the window, but date modified could work. What's the easiest change I can make to a file that changes the modified date?