arranging in iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LisaPunk, Apr 17, 2009.

1. LisaPunk macrumors newbie

hello all,
    i just bought a Macbook. formerly all my files were on a PC.
    i have successfully imported all my pictures onto my new laptop and dumped them into iphoto.

one issue. all the nice folders i had them in have been disregarded and tossed aside and are all in a crazy mess by date.

is there a way to get back all my nice categories? i take tons of pictures so having them by date is a real pain.

id like to be able to, for example, put all my vacation pictures in one folder labeled VACATION 2009 and then inside that folder have a folder for each day.

or in a non-date related method to have a folder called FAMILY and then within that like a folder of pictures of my family and then a seperate folder for pics of my husbands family and then within those more folders.

how do i go about doing this?
    sorry if this is a real basic question but ive never used iphoto and its been about ten years since ive used a mac

also is there a way to upload ONE picture to facebook rather than an entire folder?

2. MacVixen macrumors 6502

iPhoto has something called Events which are essentially the folder structure that you are describing. I'm sure it's just a setting in preferences (don't have my MBP w/ me right now). My iPhoto is set up so that whenever I download photos they are automatically placed into an "event" which I can then rename or split out, etc. I don't believe that you can do events w/in events in iPhoto.

As far as the facebook things go, in my experience so far, the facebook link uploads the entire album rather than the individual photo. But I also haven't looked around in preferences to see if this setting could be changed.

Hope this helps.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

In iPhoto, if you're in an Album or an Event, ... if you highlight just one picture and click the Facebook icon, it should just upload the picture.

I constantly do that by accident, when I'm meaning to upload the whole Event. :)

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

If you were to import your photos from your PC folder by folder, your organization would remain intact. Lots of work, but at least the structure would be the same.

In iPhoto in addition to Events, you can create folders, Say "Vacations", and then albums, say "2009" and put the album into the folder. Same as what you have previously.

I also think that you can auto separate your current setup (all jumbled together) into Events based on date (or maybe some other criteria). Not at the mac right now so can't check the exact command, but look around on the toolbar and you should find an option to auto create events.