arranging photos - without using iphoto

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Puglet, Aug 11, 2010.

1. The Puglet macrumors newbie

Went to my local apple store... read other posts... is there reeeally no way to arrange the order of photos without resorting to iphoto?? Seriously?

I'm a PC and have an old beater mac (G4/OS 10.4) that ipad refuses to play with.

I saw an app called Sort Shots, but the 2 good reviews it had were too good and the bad one was... bad.

Help?

I'm a photog and the *only* reason I bought an ipad is for slideshows. Being able to arrange the order of photos seems like a pretty basic function. Suuuuper disappointed apple :(

2. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

I'm also a photographer and bought the ipad for primarily the same reason as you.

iPad images are sorted by the date the photograph was taken. This date is stored in the EXIF data of the photo. If you can find a way to edit the EXIF date, you can change the order.

I can do it image-by-image in Aperture, but it's not a viable solution when I'm showing weddings consisting of 800+ images!

3. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

But that sounds like the PERFECT way to spend a weekend or two! :rolleyes:

I'm also disappointed at the lack of photo management on the iPad. Hopefully, more features will be added.

4. The Puglet thread starter macrumors newbie

If you're on a Mac, you're OK

Oh, it's just us PC users (like me) who have to alter the Exif. If you're on an ipad-compatible Mac, you can just arrange your images in iphoto then synch from there.

Not exactly an elegant/efficient solution, but much better than rewriting the EXIF on 800 images. ouch.

5. Diane B macrumors member

800?

Truthfully I would not use the Ipad as my backup for weddings. Is there a particular reason why you are using it instead of a laptop or harddrive + the cards?. If I were still shooting commercially I would choose a drive I could load onsite plus have enough cards to not have to delete to use more. They are really cheap now. Then when back to main computer I would load into the processor of my choice (I use Lightroom) and after processing, perhaps load the best to the Pad for portfolio viewing with client (if that's the reason to load to the Ipad initially).

I'm loading, deleting what I don't want to share immediately but keeping original on the cards to process later as RAWs. I have Photosort but haven't really worked with it to have much to say about it yet. I haven't tried setting up a portfolio to load through Itunes yet either.

A photo friend who is using his for travel uploads deletes the chaff and then uploads when he gets home to Aperture (through iTunes) and works from there. His initial editing is done

6. The Puglet thread starter macrumors newbie

Good suggestions - but I don't think anyone's talking about using the ipad to back up files.

I'm looking to use mine just for slideshows - to give client previews and use as a digital portfolio. Because there's an aspect of storytelling in my photography, the order of the photos is really important.

I demoed one of my albums yesterday and people *love* flicking through their pictures on the iPad. Too bad it's such a PITA on my end :(

7. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Waiting on a decent iPad Photo App...

I am with you all...photographer here...with camera kit. I check the app store for new photo iPad apps on a regular basis...to much just for the iPhone...getting frustrating...come on developers!!

I don't reformat memory cards until photos are in at least two places...my main computer and some other place. That used to be a NAS...but since getting the cck, I usually put photos first on my iPad, then the computer, then format the card. I still move them to the 1TB NAS eventually as a grab and go backup.

The problem is that when i go out and shoot, I frequently chew through about 2-4gb of memory between 3 different cameras. And in the past 5 or 6 weeks, I have just about filled up my 64gb iPad.

The good thing is that unlike EVER before, I am more likely to look and cull through my photos because I am more likely to sit around with the pad scrolling through the pictures, deleting the duds, etc. The problem is that I am shooting more than I am deleting.

When I first loaded up a few hundred pictures, sorting was fine. But now, with the CCK, all of my imported photos are all mixed in...and I can't to a photo I want to show unless it is from a recent date, because the ALL photos has thousands.

But I am a little confused. When I made iTunes sync with my computer, it did an ok job of the subfolders. The problem with what I tunes did is that the root folder, with it 700+ photos, were stuck in the All Photos folder. I am about to mess with it and see if I can't get it to create a folder above the folder by telling it to sync to the folder above the previous root folder. But why are you all thinking this needs to be done on a Mac? I was able to get the folders from my PC to sync via iTunes.

There is just so much potential for the pad, but the developers are not getting the software out for the iPad.

8. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

Speaking as someone who has an (iphone) app out there... decent app development takes time. We're planning an iPad version of my app, but we're still at the design phase at the moment. If we rush the design and the app doesn't work in the best possible way, it won't sell and we won't make any money.

I completely agree. Also, why would you want to re-arrange the display order of backed up photos? This thread is about people wanting to display their photos to others in the order they intend to show them.

9. stix macrumors member

It needs the ability to create folders within folders, and the ability to drag images around in the same way you drag icons around the home screens. Not a lot to ask, surely? And not something that really needs a dedicated app I would imagine.

Can you use Goodreader to sort images into "folders"? Probably a PITA with a large number anyway though.

10. 156457 macrumors 6502

This is an expensive solution (well, not really but in some eyes) how about downloading the 'Gallery' app by Apple to your iPad, then purchase a MobileMe subscription and upload your photos into albums on MobileMe, then arrange them and whala, just use the Gallery app instead of the Photos app? You also get all the benefits of the MobileMe email, push syncing of contacts ect...

What do you think?

11. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

Mobile Me offers me no benefits
    Google provide push syncing, I use the Device Locator app for device tracking, dropbox for storage.
    There's no way I'm paying £70 a year for a gallery app.
    Plus I don't want my high-res, unwatermarked photos online.

12. 156457 macrumors 6502

Well sorry for suggesting. You can choose not to have your photos publicly online. (PS. £40 at Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-MB824..._1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1281693364&sr=8-1 and also cheap on eBay too. That's where I buy MobileMe)

13. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

The Gallery app has not been optimized for the iPad yet, though.

It may be nice once it is, but right now, it's not the ideal option.

14. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I find it weird that Apple go to all the trouble of setting up Locations and yet you still can't view a photo's EXIF data or even rotate it. :confused:

15. jobyrose, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

jobyrose macrumors newbie

I am using the apps Sortshots & it works perfect for me.i am using it to display my portfolios to my clients.With this app i can create slideshows with multiple songs.Also it uses the power of tags to quickly sort and organize your photos. You can rate your photos (to sort your favourites to the top quickly) and tag multiple photos at once. Tags can be organized into hierarchical categories as well; the default top level categories are People, Places, and Events.

Best photo organizer app for ipad

16. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

In terms of functionality, the Photos app is a joke.
    You should be able to:
    Have a 'sort by' option.
    Ability to change the album cover of a stack.
    Image rotation.
    Add images from the Camera Roll, to existing albums.

All we can do, is view images st the moment. :mad:

17. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I 100% fully agree with you.
    Over a year ago, on the very 1st day I got my iPad and was playing with all the apps for the very 1st time, I was genuinely under the impression that I was doing something wrong, or not seeing some hidden menus as I could not believe that was all the photo app did. Show pics and nothing else.

And amazingly after a whole year, and various iPad software updates later then have not enhanced this fundamental major app in any way.

My worry is, in a way, if you stop and think about it, this tells us a lot, what apple consider the iPad to be, or what they as a company see the device as.
    They obviously see the iPad as just an extension of your mac or PC. You do all your photo work on you computer, and then just put some pics onto your iPad as a kind of portable slideshow to show some people or just look at.

To me, this is worrying as it says a lot more about apples view of the iPad than you may first think.

I think a lot of people see the iPad as much more than this, and want the iPad to grow to be much more than this, but what is the future if the manufacturer only officially views their product as a portable temporary extension to put some data on that they got from their real computer.

I hope apple sees the iPad as a more worthy and individual device as time goes on as it deserves more than being seen as just this by it's makers.

18. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I think iPhoto for iPad is coming, along with a lot of the things we want, but Apple just loves to take their sweet time! I 'love' my iOS devices, but waiting so long for basic functionality, can get infuriating at times.

19. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I hope you are right. Let's be honest, the photo app is about as pathetic as the paint program still included in windows. Just about enough to amuse a 5 year old for a while.

As a PC owner, I do still have "issues" about entrusting my data to Apple Apps.

Call me a dinosaur if you like :)
    But I like to have a real drive, with real directories, with real subfolders with names I give them.
    In these subdirectories are the real picture files from my camera with real filenames, and that's my photo's that I can find (thanks to my structure and naming) at any time, and it's all there "for real" and safe, and I can back this up to anything at any time.

I am very nervous about giving Apples software the job of doing all this, I connect a camera, let it upload the photo's to an iphone type app, and just let it look after the data, how it's stored and how it's arranged.

I just feel it only takes one screw up and the whole lot comes crashing down in a utter mess.

Bit like a high tech car, it's all wonderful whilst it works perfect, but just one glitch in the system and the whole thing grinds to a halt and it's so intermixed so no-one but an expert could put it all back again to how it way.