Arrg! Yet another keyboard problem.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghall, Jul 3, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

When will I ever learn? I spilt some soda on my keyboard (fortunately only a tiny bit). At first some keys were a bit sticky, a minor annoyance, but as it started getting darker, I noticed half the keys won't light up now. I'm so pissed! If I'd just use that stupid keyboard skin I payed 15 bucks for, my keyboard would probably be fine right now. Well, it's official ladies and gents, I am an idiot.

Well, at this point, can we safely say that as long as I spill no other liquids onto my keyboard that it will be fine (not counting the messed up backlight)? I really don't want to have to send in my laptop again 2 weeks after the last time.

2. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

you said it first :D now, seriously. i think you can pop off the keys of your keyboard and clean them and under them and all will get back to normal.

3. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Is there a safe way to do that? I had a bad experience taking off the keys on my old PowerBook G4, so I'm a little nervous about doing that.

4. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

found this using google (google is best :D )
    so look here

5. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Looks a little scary, so I think I'll do that when I'm not so tired. But thank you so much. Now I'll actually be able to sleep tonight. :)

6. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

i am glad i could help you sleep better, not that there's not loads of other 'night awaking' stuff going on in this 'sick' world. :eek: sorry for the rant.

7. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Thanks.
    Very true. Don't worry, I rant a lot myself.

8. Sopranino macrumors 6502

After you have disassembled the keyboard clean the contacts and other bits with a Q-tip and Isopropyl Alcohol.

Sopranino

(And, no, you're not an idiot. It is an Apple design flaw that makes them attract liquids ;) )

9. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I'll give that a go as well.
    The stickiness seems to have gone away, will this fix the backlight?

I thought that only applied to saliva. :)