Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
The number one annoyance for me with OS X right now is the frickin' view options in the finder. It defaults to the "All Windows" radio button and I keep accidentally changing all of my windows when I really just want too alter one. I like to change the details for how things are displayed depending on the type of stuff thats in that folder. Example: I like my applications folder sorted by name, but my home directory with free-floating folders so I can arrange them how I want. Am I the only one with this problem? Should I just learn to do it right?

Another question: Is there a way to apply a certain set of view options to a folder and its contents? Or do I have to go through "This window only" for every window? Example, I have a bunch of pictures folders that I want a certain way (with icon previews), can I apply settings just to those folders? Thanks.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Jay42 said:
Am I the only one with this problem? Should I just learn to do it right?

No, you're not. This has been my pet peeve since day 1 of using OS X.

And, It's not 'right', It's wrong. Competely wrong. But you'll just have to learn to live with it until Apple hopefully fix it some day, or someone come up with some sort of hack.

As for your other questions. I'm not sure. Maybe someone else knows.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Why wasn't the programmer or designer at Apple who set this default fired long ago?

Wait a minute. Perhaps he/she was, and that's why there's nobody in charge of this code who could fix it for us.

When a design choice is this bad, I think it's a "bug", not a "feature".

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
Well, I've just changed the view options for every single folder in my pictures collection manually. All I wanted was icon previews instead of jpeg icons for these folders (doesn't seem like a big request). I believe even Windows :eek: has this functionality of applying changes to contents of a folder. I would still appreciate anyone who knows how to do this/change the defaults. Or if you know for sure that this doesn't exist, which sounds more likely.

BTW, is there any way to use automator for this? I wouldn't know since I haven't used it yet.

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
I spent a great deal of time on this, since I didn't notice that little option up there, and it never occurred to me it would default to ALL windows. I had a couple movies with custom icons that I wanted to display fairly large, and would end up with an Applications folder all jumbled up because the change was universal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.