Arrgghh...Mini-DVI to DVI

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by soLoredd, Jul 1, 2008.

1. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I'm getting frustrated here. I just came upon a new 20 inch widescreen monitor and I want to have my MacBook connected to it while at home. I have the mini-DVI to DVI connector, however, Apple themselves do not sell a DVI cable nor can I find any at Best Buy or Circuit City. WTF? It seems as if everything is going toward HDMI.

My last resort will be Monoprice for a cable but I just wanted to express how dumb it is if Apple wants to have a DVI connector but doesn't sell the cable. Blah!

2. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I'd be disappointed too if there wasn't a cable shipped with the monitor , I got an hp one a while back that had a cable in with it ...check the contents list for your monitor , maybe one should be in and they missed putting it in somehow ??.

3. cyberdogl2 macrumors regular

i agree lets have apple stock everything we need so we can hook up our macs to anything that we buy, even nonapple products.

4. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Before being sarcastic , read the post properly .

I was talking about the monitor not the macbook , notice I mention the monitor I bought shipped with a cable ?

>>>>"I'd be disappointed too if there wasn't a cable shipped with the monitor" <<<<

~marbles

5. McGiord, Jul 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's actually fairly odd that neither Circuit City nor Best Buy have a DVI cable. Yeah, I do suppose that in HOME THEATER, everything went to HDMI. HDMI is much more sensible because it can carry a digital audio signal, and DVI cannot carry any audio signal. But computers that have an HDMI port are not ultra common, and I hardly see any computer systems where the computer and monitor are connected by HDMI.

But AFAIK, Apple's displays do come with DVI cables, and I think projectors often do also, so really Apple doesn't have a lot of need to sell you one.

7. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Got mine at Sears. They also sell them at Walmart.

I was also suprised that the other stores did not carry the cable.

8. Matek macrumors 6502a

Seriousely, what does this have to do with Apple? If your monitor supports DVI, you should have gotten a DVI cable with it.