Arrgh!! Late 2013 13" rMBP in for repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by diggy33, Dec 7, 2013.

1. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

So I started having a weird issue on my 13, where when I pressed the number 4 key, Launchpad would open up. When I pressed the F4 key, Launchpad would flash quickly about 2 or 3 time, and sometimes it would stay open. then, even just lightly touching the F4 key would open Launchpad. I thought it was a hardware problem, but I went thru the usual tests and diagnostics (even created another profile to make sure it was hardware related). Took it in to the Apple Store today, and they confirmed everything, but of course, they didn't have a 13 with 16GB in stock, so I had them ship it to their repair center.

2. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

3. red321red321 macrumors regular

8CoreWhore - sounds like he is getting it repaired right? so not a replacement

4. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Most likely repair, not replaced

5. willgreene99 macrumors regular

willgreene99

That was very interesting. I wonder how the workers feel when they have to work on a number 4 key.

6. diggy33 thread starter macrumors 6502

diggy33

Yeah, getting repaired. The tech said if he would have had one in stock with the same specs he would have just swapped it out.

7. diggy33 thread starter macrumors 6502

diggy33

So I just got off the phone with a young lady from the repair depot, and they are going to send my machine to their engineering department so they can try and figure out why it failed. They are shipping me out a brand new machine, so I should have it sometime next week.

8. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Nice! Hopefully they deliver quickly !

9. diggy33 thread starter macrumors 6502

diggy33

So 5 days later, I havent gotten any updates from Apple regarding my replacement machine. I called AppleCare this morning, they told me that since the Apple Store set up the repair, I needed to call them to find out the status. I called the store, the 2 people I spoke with at the store had no clue, and referred me back to AppleCare. I called them back, and after talking to 3 people, I am under the firm belief that Apple has no clue what is going on with my machine, much less WHERE my machine is. They show me "a" machine shipped, but have no tracking information, nor do they know if its a replacement machine, or if its my repaired machine (online, the repair order shows that my machine is repaired and was sent back to the store). I've now been placed in the care of a senior technician who will take every effort to get me an update by tomorrow. I've dealt with Apple for 6 years at my job, sending machines in for warranty issues, and I've never gotten the run around like I have today. I'm amazed.

10. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

They will come through in the end. I had issues before where they lost an iPhone several years ago when I turned it in for repair at an Apple store and they eventually made it right. Had to be escalated just like yours but it worked out. Sorry for your experience.

11. durkkin macrumors regular

Sounds like the repair facility didn't make notes like they should have. All the Apple store itself can see is the notes attached to your repair, if the machine isn't in their hands and there aren't any notes left in the database, there's not much they can do. There's a decent possibility the machine is getting shipped back from the store, they don't necessarily have your shipping info on hand. Moreover, shipments to and from Apple stores are handled exclusively by FedEx (at least when I worked there), and aren't tracked as you and I are used to. FedEx handles it end to end and keeps track of it internally (of course), but that information isn't relayed to the store. I can guarantee you they're doing all they can, but things happen. I'd also put money on you getting a brand new machine because of your inconvenience; they want to make sure you're happy. Trust me, Apple knows how much not having a computer sucks, but there's only so much any one person can do, and when you're dealing with the lowest man on the totem pole there's even less they can do.