ARRGH! Ringtones will not sync

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tjp888, Feb 20, 2010.

1. tjp888 macrumors regular

tjp888

I've been pulling my hair out over this. Through the iTunes store I purchased a ringtone. iTunes downloaded it and put it in my MUSIC section. I checked the actual file and it is a M4a file. So, I copied the file to another location and changed the extension to M4r. Next I copied that renamed file to the Ringtone folder. But iTunes (Ver 9.03) doesn't see the file. I have also tried to do a "Add File to Library" but that doesn't work either. If I leave the file extension as M4a iTune sees it and puts it in the music section.
    Also, when the file was M4a and in the Music section I right clicked on it and selected Make a Ringtone. I then see the edit section open up at the bottom of iTunes. But I don't see how to save it at that point?

What gives? What am I doing wrong?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You need to drag it into iTunes ringtones with the ringtones pane open in iTunes.

3. The General macrumors 601

4. tjp888 thread starter macrumors regular

tjp888

Dragging into the Ringtones folder with iTunes running doesn't seem to work. I double checked and the ringtone is only 27 seconds long. I can't figure this one Out.
    Maybe there's something wrong with the file? But I assume since it was purchased from the iTunes store it should work?

If I right click on the original M4a file and say "convert to ringtone" I get a window at the bottom of iTunes that shows the wave form and lets me edit it. But what is really puzzling is there is no way to save the file once the edit window appears?

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I thought you had changed the extension of the m4a to m4r on your desktop or wherever you dragged the m4a file. You need to change the extension before dragging it into iTunes. You can't change it in the ringtones folder and have it work, nor can you drag it into the ringtones folder. DRAG it into ITUNES in the Ringtones pane in the middle of iTunes. If it's not working, you must be doing it wrong in one of these steps. Keep trying.

Oh, I bolded the "convert to ringtones." because that will not work. Seems like it should, but it doesn't, so don't bother.

BTW, there's no reason to buy ringtones. You can use iTunes for this purpose. The method is everywhere.

6. tjp888 thread starter macrumors regular

tjp888

Yeah, I did change the file extension first. Then I tried double clicking on the M4r file (some say that's all you have to do) I also tried dragging it into the iTunes program Ringtones window. I get the red circle with a line through it (the international NO symbol).

Yeah, I know it's easy to make ringtones from an MP3 or AAC file. I've done that before. Those ringtones sync OK. But this was a humorous one that just made me laugh, so I bought it. But I can't seem to be able to use it.

I'm beginning to think that my iTunes library is messed up or something. I wonder if I backup the phone, blow out iTunes and reload it again if that will fix it. But, that seems pretty drastic.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just to make sure, but you clicked on the ringtones icon on the left pane of iTunes (where is has music, movies, TV shows, etc,) and then dragged the ringtone file to the middle of iTunes where all the ringtones files are and it didn't change to a "green +" when you hovered over the ringtone?

8. tjp888 thread starter macrumors regular

tjp888

Finally! I got the ringtone to sync

aggie - thanks for all your help.
    I'm pretty sure that the AAC file that I purchased from the iTunes store was corrupt in someway. I got the so called - ringtone file to sync by converting it to an MP3 file, then back again to an AAC file. I then did the same procedure I tried after purchasing the original file - renamed the extension from M4a to M4r. I then dragged it in to the Ringtone folder in iTunes like you suggested - and it worked :)
    Finally, after over 2 hours of futzzing around.

So, I assume that converting the file corrected something - maybe the header info? Because the original version played fine. Just would not convert to a ringtone.

But I learned one thing. I'm sticking to purchasing all my music and such from Amazon. This was my first media purchase from the iTunes store. Can't say it was a pleasant experience.