Arrow Key Popped off and broke

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kingr729, Feb 18, 2010.

1. kingr729 macrumors newbie

one of the arrow keys on my macbook popped off and broke when i tried to put it back on. if i take it to a mac store will they replace it for me?

2. Buzz Bumble Guest

Most likely they'll simply say you need a new keyboard - hardly anybody bothers to repair keyboards or mice these days, even laptop keyboards.

You might be able to talk to someone in the service department or another Apple repair centre who can sell / give you a space key off of a broken, non-working computer of the same model, but they are quite fiddly to put back on (one reason to dislike the new aluminuim keyboards :().

Another option might be one of those companies that sell replacement keys for use in certain applications (e.g. Photoshop), but they are expensive, you'll end up with a pile of keys you don't need, and it's unlikely the arrow key will be part of any set.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If it's a defect Apple will repair it for free.

If you broke it then you are liable.

4. kuuipo426 macrumors newbie

i have the late 2006 macbook model. I just picked up my macbook last week from genius bar. They replaced the topcase because the plastic border of the macbook was chipping off, and they said the arrow popping up was a defect as well. It popped off, but same as you I tried to put it back on like the YouTube videos told me to and I broke the hinge in two. LOL.
    What I learned is: it's worth a shot to take it to the genius bar and see what they can do for free, and get an estimate of how much it would be to replace the arrow key.
    Good Luck

5. Surely Guest

Surely

That's not necessarily true.

The 'M' key popped off of my late 2009 MBP. The hinge was defective. The 'Genius' replaced the hinge and the 'M' key for me at the Bar while I waited.

6. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

They'll probably make you get a whole new keyboard I'm afarid. Unless you can salvage one of a Mac with the same keyboard as yours, which is hard but possible. It is a UniBody isn't it? Because its harder to replace on a UniBody.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

So..... did you just, like, skip over my post?

8. mikeabcd macrumors newbie

just a suggestion...similar thing happened to me and so i just removed a different key....one i don't use ever/often... this one ' ] '..... used the unbroken mechanics from behind it....and can use them in the arrow key