Arrow Keys on MBA 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DistantOrigin, Dec 13, 2014.

1. DistantOrigin macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've had this problem for a month or two now, but it's just now starting to get really irritating, especially since I use the arrow keys a lot.
    My up arrow key has lost it's rebound, so to speak. All three of the other arrow keys come right back up, but the up arrow key has much less of a travel time, almost making me believe that the key has something stuck underneath it or the mechanism underneath it is dislodged.

I couldn't find anything on the forums regarding MBA 2013 arrow keys, and would like some advice on how to fix this. (Yes, I know -- there have been dozens of topics about key replacements, but I couldn't find one about specific notebook arrow keys. If there is such a topic, feel free to point me to it.)

Should I bring my MBA to the Apple Store? Is there a simple fix? Or will I have to send the laptop away for a full keyboard replacement? If there's a home-spun way to fix this without major risk of damaging the key, please let me know.

Thank you.

2. SusanK macrumors 68000

If the MBA is still under warranty I would take it to Apple to be checked.

3. DistantOrigin thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it is still under warranty. I purchased it in May of this year.

I could imagine this happening. Would one of you fine people mind posting step-by-step instructions on how I can take the key off? I understand it's best done with a flathead screwdriver. Admittedly, I'm a visually impaired user, and the only relatively good instructions have been YouTube videos with little to no narration. Is it simply a matter of prying the keycap with the flat end of the screwdriver and then realigning the mechanism with the notebook computer to reattach, or is it something more involved?

I appreciate any responses.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

To be honest, if anything such as you have described happened to my MBA and it was still under warranty, I wouldn't bother attempting to address matters with a screwdriver or any other implement. This is because you do not necessarily know what you are doing, what you are looking for, and what may have caused the key (in this instance) to malfunction.

Get an opinion from someone who does know how to identify what has gone wrong. In your shoes, I would take the MBA - as it is still under warranty - to an authorised Apple dealer, and ask them to take a look at it, and identify what the problem is, and, more to the point, how they will attempt to resolve it. Then, leave it to them.

5. DistantOrigin thread starter macrumors newbie

Point taken. I was only attempting to avoid that because I've heard stories of Apple charging people outrageous prices to replace the entire keyboard because of one small key malfunction, even under warranty. I'll do that, though.

6. checkitout macrumors member

Vacuum it

While taking the MBA to a Genius appointment always is a possibility, the following procedure may give a quicker result:

Use a vacuum (not set too strong, or it will suck off the keycaps), approach the key from one side, while repeatedly hitting on the key to loosen any object below it.
    If necessary, repeat from the other side, and maybe again from the side first used.

This works quite well for the usual breadcrumbs that collect and harden in the keyboard: They tend to crumble a bit further under the key-hitting and get sucked out.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, yes. Then, take it to a second authorised Apple dealer for a second opinion; that is what I did last year, when I had keyboard problems - rather problems with two specific keys - with a MBA that was still under warranty.

One authorised Apple dealer quoted me a price; another - the place where I had ordered the CTO maxed out MBA - simply dealt with it, replacing the keys. I had stressed the fact that - firstly - it was still under warranty, and secondly, I had Applecare, precisely to deal with these sort of problems.

8. SusanK macrumors 68000

I agree with Scepticalscribe. Definitely let the Apple Store take a look at it. The proper diagnostics can be done there. My experiences with the Genius Bar and the techs at the Apple Store have been positive.

Your MBA is covered by both the manufacturer warranty and Apple Care extended warranty. Make use of it.

Please post back and let us know how things work out for you?

Good luck!

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

And, a further addendum. Re-reading the OP's initial post, I just noticed (which tells its own tale) that the OP has written that s/he is 'a visually impaired user'.

Now, as it happens, I am a 'visually impaired user'. Indeed, I wear glasses/spectacles precisely because I am a visually impaired user, and have done so since the age of seven when it was first noticed that I was a 'visually impaired user'.

Under these circumstances, with a machine under warranty, and one that I haven't a clue about how to go about identifying the problem, let alone mending, I would hand the problem over to the professionals. Immediately. Along with a reminder to check its status (note warranty and Applecare) and leave it to their tender care.

You do not want to do something so idiotic with a screwdriver out of a blissful union of misguided confidence married to utter ignorance that would (accidentally) void a warranty because you have decided to go exploring with an implement.

Leave this to the professionals.

10. SusanK, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014

SusanK macrumors 68000

I've got the specs, too. They go on and off all day as my best close vision is uncorrected vision. I would have tiny pieces of MBA all over the place. I would hear them but not see them.

I love my MBA too much to put it under my own care. Definitely for the pros in my case. Lack of tech skills far outweigh the vision issue.

11. DistantOrigin thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll be taking it to my authorized Apple service provider today, so we'll see how things turn out. I'll post my results.

12. DistantOrigin thread starter macrumors newbie

Rather late, I know, but I took my MBA to the Apple Store yesterday. The tech cleaned underneath the keyboard and replaced the up arrow completely with no charge. Great deal.