Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

magicka.jpg
Arrowhead Game Studios, in partnership with Paradox Interactive and Ludosity, tonight released Magicka: Wizards of the Square Tablet for the iPad, which is based on its popular action adventure Magicka PC game.

As in the computer version of the game, players of Magicka: Wizards of the Square Tablet take on the role of a wizard, combining elemental powers to conjure and cast unique magical spells to destroy demons.

Though the game retains the same humorous undertone and the crazy spell combinations of the PC version, the art style has been altered for the iPad, featuring cartoonish 2D graphics instead of the 3D isometric perspective of the PC game.

The original game had a heavy multiplayer focus, and the iPad edition of Magicka functions in the same way, allowing up to four players to play together online.

Magicka: Wizards of the Square Tablet is available for download from the App Store for $1.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Arrowhead's 'Magicka' Makes its Way to the iPad

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
meh, just played it. the pc version is better. you can't move while casting spells on ipad

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Darn, I was hoping it was the actual full game. I own the PC version on Steam, but I don't play it because I have so many other PC games through steam that I am trying to play through (And now Bioshock Infinite on the 360...) On the iPad I could actually get through it...

Renzatic

Suspended
Is this meant to be a parody?

Yeah. It is. Unfortunately, this one isn't of their best. The wizards aren't even speaking fake Sweedish.

I dunno about the iPad version specifically, but Magicka is an absolute kick in the pants to play. Specially if you get 4 of your friends involved in a game of multiplayer. The way the magic system is set up, it invites and encourages pure and utter funny as hell chaos.

Last edited:

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
Yeah. It is. Unfortunately, this one isn't of their best. The wizards aren't even speaking fake Sweedish.

I dunno about the iPad version specifically, but Magicka is an absolute kick in the pants to play. Specially if you get 4 of your friends involved in a game of multiplayer. The way the magic system is set up, it invites and encourages pure and utter funny as hell chaos.

This is definitely true, but it's also one of the buggiest and most unstable games I've ever played, particularly multi-player. Especially early on, the biggest challenge to beating the game, by far, was getting the game to either not crash or get in an inconsistent state where it wouldn't continue.

Renzatic

Suspended
I do remember it bugging out on me 5 or 6 or 20 times or so, but it never got so bad I couldn't complete it. Crashes weren't pretty common, but not regular occurrences you could practically set your watch on.

Though admittedly, I only started playing it after a couple of patches had already come down the tubes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.