ARRRRRGGGHHH!! (not a pirate sound)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by luka, Jun 15, 2008.

1. luka macrumors member

For those of you who don't want to hear a raving, angry lunatic please hit the back button on your browser now.

The following events are a continuation of this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=495639

Ok, so. My wonderful MBP goes all AWOL on me, apparently the logic board is FUBAR and I don't know any more army expressions to describe the obscene repair cost they quoted me.

Nevertheless, I gleefully ordered a base model mac pro with a 8800GT mod, thinking a problem with a mac was an isolated event. Then I remembered that the MBP also had a battery bulge as well as a fray 'n' melt. But no, no no. Isolated incidences.

Surely, nothing could go wrong with the $4500AU purchase of a Mac Pro. I'd expect every aspect of the bloody thing gone over with a fine tooth comb by a nepalese midget for that price.

It arrived.
    It installed.
    It did everything it was supposed to do.
    Sort of.

And by sort of, I mean the superdrive doesn't work, it takes 2 minutes to boot up (despite the fact nothing's loaded on it) and the headphone jack at the back doesn't work.

But hey, who cares if the thing is slower than my MBP running in XP with a faulty logic board! IT LOOKS COOL, right?
    Wrong, because I sort of need this thing to do some work on in the next week or so, and I stand to lose money over it.

I call apple. Apple says the item is DOA.
    "lovely!" I reply.
    "So, I'll be able to pick a new one up today or tomorrow right? I've got a lot of work to do with this computational device."
    "Sure thing!" Replies Steve.
    "That is, if by 'today or tomorrow' you mean 'mid to late next week', then yes, you can have a new one tomorrow!"

Then, restraining my urge to create some sort of a device which enables me to punch an entire company in the face, I think for a moment.

"How about I take it into a Apple repair place, have THEM declare the item broken, get them to give me a new Mac Pro with the perfectly fine 8800GT from the dead box installed. I get my mac, you guys get the problem, and nobody punches a company in the face"

"Punches what....?"

"Uh, nothing. How abouts it?"

"I'll ask, hang on."
    *insert horrible call waiting music*

"uh, sorry, we can't do that."

"Why exactly?"

"uh... it's... uh... departments...can't.... umm... hang on, I'll put you through to someone at ordering."
    *call waiting music*

A woman answers "Hello, my name is Shane"

"Hi Shane, isn't that a guy's name?"

"What?"

"Nothing. Has steve filled you in?"

"Yes, we can get it to you by mid next week."

"No, no. About the replacement thing."

"oh, yes. We can't do that"

"Why exactly? This is going to cost me money"

"Oh, well, it's a different.... umm... the systems.... umm... and we can't do it that way."

"But it'll be in the hands of apple the whole time. It'll be resolved in half the time and it won't cost you anything in transport. Surely, you can see this will be of benefit to all parties?"

"No. I'll give you a refund and you can buy it again. It will take longer that way if you like."

"That's not what I'm asking for."

"No. I've put the order through, someone will come pick the item up on wednesday."

"Can I at least take it to apple today so it gets processed and diagnosed faster?"

"No. It has to be picked up."

"I see."

.....*conversation about time / place etc*...

"Have a GREAT day Luka!"

"uh, thanks."

[/rant]

2. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

That is why Apple will never be a success in the business world.

3. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

As much as I love Apple's products, their support leaves a LOT to be desired (outside the USA at least).

4. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

I was looking for an email address to fire off a complaint to.

Any idea where I might find one? :)

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

sjobs@mac.com

6. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

They all go to him then, poor chap? :)

I looked around the Apple site in the slight hope of
    finding contact details for lesser mortals. I couldn't
    find anything.

Does Apple actually have a customer relations dept?

7. luka thread starter macrumors member

They sent me a 'How did we go at serving you?' email soon after I hung up. I let it rip, but it was anonymous.

8. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I am sorry but I did LOL alot at your complaint, very well wrote. I live in the UK and I feel the support wildly changes area to area, I plan to buy in store and deal with the store, I am lucky though the store is not very far from my house so it's an easy task.

9. luka thread starter macrumors member

Probably the best advice I could give after this horrid affair. Avoid buying mac gear online. Buy it in store. You know what you're getting and where you're getting it from, and you also know who's accountable.

I got a call today from an apple representative after I left them some angry. angry feedback with my email address attached. I'm getting a coupon in my inbox in the next few days as compensation. Forgiven, not forgotten.

10. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

And ANY other tech support company is better? :rolleyes:

Have you gotten with M$ or Dell support lately?

11. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yep and i won't be doing it again - Oh i am having this problem, Well that will be 75 dollars to fix can i have your credit card - How about NO ok seeya click!

12. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

My father had a problem with his Dell. They phoned him
    back... something along the lines of "Is it ok if we come
    round tomorrow?"

13. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I called them. They Mailed me a new mother board with new power supply and CPU. Just in case it was not the power supply like suspected. It arrived the next day. I installed it and shipped the dead ones back with the labels and pre payed fed ex given to me. :)

14. hms84 macrumors regular

There's a problem with Apple world wide (US is OK)
    that means the problem is with World wide product marketing guys...
    OS X doesn't have Arabic Support, HUH?
    Apple don't have an Office in this area, while Microsoft have HUGE building in Dubai... HUH?