Ars Technica website revamped.

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by maflynn, May 9, 2012.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ars Technica revamped their site and I have to say the new site is UGLY.

Ugh, I'm in sensory overload with so many images, and large type. The message is being lost in favor of having so many things jammed in there.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't like the new layout either. I've been waiting to try the "list" view, but the feature isn't live yet I guess.

Attached Files:

3. carefreecork, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012

carefreecork macrumors member

Only viewed it on the iPhone and initially it seemed ok - all three section clearly viewable. But then discovered when double tapping to zoom in, the links to other pages are so large you invariably click on a link to a page you did not wish to go to. It seems that the page set-up was to make this page readable on phones, but it doesn't quite work. Interest to see what it will look like on larger screens.

EDIT: The above is especially true for the centre section - which I would have thought to contain the more important topic and, therefore, should be the simplest to navigate on all.

----------

Seems to be live now - great for the phone, but the click through for the different view very difficult to find on the phone!

4. smoledman macrumors 68000

5. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

It does look similar to Verge, except with large font. What was wrong with the old theme? It was so minimal and the images were small thumbnails. My eyes can't focus on one thing. They dart around and it's very distracting. It's ugly.

Although the list view is decent I guess, especially the dark theme. Now if they would just lower the font size...

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I don't like the look of it either.

Attached Files:

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

List view works for me.

The design is OK (though I preferred the old), but I hate the new menu system.

8. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Looks to me like it has had a little inspiration from The Verge.

Going to have a navigate around to see what I think.

9. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah, it took about a day for them to get all the features up and running including list view. The new one is... just OK. I do think the old site needed a facelift though.

11. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Not a fan of the multi-column view, but the list view wasn't too bad.

The articles themselves seem well formatted and quite readable, so all in all not too bad. At least they didn't mess it up like Gizmodo did (they were one of my favorite techblogs until they renewed the design).