Arthur C Clarke 90th

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by andiwm2003, Dec 16, 2007.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Didn't see the video, but Arthur Clarke is a treasure. It's amazing that he's still going.

Years ago he did one of those books which attempted to explain whether various SF gimmicks (invisibility, time travel, etc.) were likely or not to ever happen. Fascinating reading, especially for the scientific layman like me who doesn't know a doppler from a parsec. :D

And of course, "2001" alone will make him immortal.

3. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Gotta give the man his dues (even if I'm not a particularly huge fan of his books, I did really enjoy reading 2001).

I read something a month or so ago which featured a scientist responding to something that Clarke had written. His response was something along the lines of "Well, Arthur does write some good science fiction..." or something equally condescending. I though to myself, dude: you go think up something like the communications satellite... then you may trash-talk Mr. Clarke :)

4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Just finished reading Rendezvous with Rama and 2061 in his honor. While both actually bored me a tad (!) having read pretty much every science fiction book he wrote, his contribution to the genre is indisputable. Asimov passed a few years back, and together they stood at the top for quite a few years.

If you've never read any Clarke, start with Childhood's End and 2001.