Arthustler Design Blog: Please critique?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by SAdProZ, Jun 12, 2011.

1. SAdProZ, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011

SAdProZ macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

Hi guys,

I started a design blog. I want to produce original content (not just relinking to every other design blog). This is my first tutorial video which is kind of a hybrid software tutorial and design presentation. I want to take the blog far and wide so any constructive criticism would be appreciated, as well as suggestions for things you want to see that would be helpful and not well implemented in other blogs (example: free Lynda.com like site, book reviews, web design from start to finish, etc).

Thanks for looking and any feedback!

www.arthustler.com
    Oz

[​IMG]

2. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Poor form. Too much comic sans. Why no embossing?

Just kidding. I don't see a video link...

3. SAdProZ thread starter macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

4. SAdProZ thread starter macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

What do designers want to see in a tutorial? Freelance/business stuff? Software stuff? Book reviews?

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I have a quibble with your video tutorial. You're telling people to start page 1 as your cover and have page 12, the right-hand page of your last spread, be the back cover.

I would never do that.

I would leave page 1 blank, put the back cover on page 2 and put the cover on page 3.

6. SAdProZ thread starter macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

Thanks for your feedback. I sincerely appreciate it.

I think I understand your rational. You are correct in that the final print out has the cover on right and back cover on the left, but in fact pages all are reordered (not in subsequent order) when printed on double sided spreads.

You know what? Let me make a video for you...

7. SAdProZ thread starter macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

As promised, here is my video response to you Citizenzen: http://www.arthustler.com/

Also, please visit my facebook page and "Like" it. It boosts my ego :)

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Thanks for the response.

It was cool that you demonstrated the InDesign booklet feature. I haven't used that feature before, and was glad you prodded me to check it out.

I always want to stay open to better ways to do things. That feature automates a process that I've spent years doing manually, but will now leave to the program. And isn't that what the programs are there for?

Thumbs up on the video.

9. SAdProZ thread starter macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

Nice! I'm glad you brought it up so I could demonstrate it. I wish more people would reveal what they needed so that I could provide it.

By the way, what do you do design wise? I'm interested.

10. Krebstar macrumors regular

I must say, the ads on the right hand side are killing me. I just hate seeing such things on anything that resembles a design blog.

11. SAdProZ thread starter macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

Thanks Krebstar! I personally love the site of a design book but if it bothers you it may bother another thousand people, so for now I'll take it down. I'm experimenting with ways to make money on the site (without compromising the integrity of my services). Do you have any suggestions?

12. BBrandDesign macrumors member

Good to see all this designs really found it very much interesting. Good to see some much more designs.