[Article] 3G iPhone not ready for the enterprise?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by edesignuk, Jun 18, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The Register.

2. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

I can see his point - the iPhone needs to prove itself in a corporate environment from a security perspective (a lot of people who maybe haven't looked at the pros and cons have used the fact that RIM use BES as a negative which is actually kind of missing the point of why it's there in the first place) and using iTunes as the sole means of loading the device just isn't clever at all.

3. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Wait, Apple didn't encrypt the contents of the iPhone (specifically email):confused:? If not that won't fly too far with places that are encryption happy. Is anyone able to chime in on this?

I am now even more curious to know if the iPhone will support certificates for device encryption?

4. chrisparr macrumors regular

People say Apple have screwed up with the 3G iPhone as end users were expecting so much more.

I dismissed those comments as I saw the 3G iPhone as an attempt by apple to grab a slice of the business market. However, if all of this is true, then perhaps Apple have screwed up big time.

If you want a slice of the business market, it's a bit of a fundamental thing to miss don't you think?

5. nastebu macrumors 6502

for "Business users are complaining..." read "Business user is complaining ..." This article has one source and that source has no expertise on the matter, just an opinion. I wouldn't take this very seriously.

6. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

I am very excited about the new iPhone, but I was also disappointed to find out that it is not locally encrypted.

I am in the medical profession and we have federal requirements regarding patient privacy. Encryption is mandatory.

Perhaps there will be an application developed that can take care of this.

I know the article is just one person, but you cannot argue with the fact that there is no local encryption and this may hurt iPhone's corporate integration.

7. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

If this was the case I would guess a company like PGP encryption would be the ones to do this. This company is working on encryption for Mac's as we speak. Maybe they can port it to iPhone.

8. Archie- macrumors regular

Here is an article in a similar vein.

The relevant parts is that the companies want flexibility of wireless providers, they wanted cheaper business plans, they want not only remote wipe but further remote management options, they want more e-mail options than Exchange (I think Notes is still about 40% of the market), they want the SDK to be more business focused, and they did not like iTunes.

Their objections seem rather reasonable.

http://www.computerweekly.com/Artic...nagers-doubt-iphone-is-ready-for-business.htm

9. chrisparr macrumors regular

Interesting article. Apple will always do okay selling the iPhone to normal end users. That's mainy because a lot of people will buy Apple just because its Apple, even if better things exist on the market (I've never really understood the fanboy thing).

It looks like Apple will find out the hard way that companies are not fanboys. Whilst companies will download the SDK for a bit of R&D, and they will happily demo a few iPhones, that is probably as far as they go.

It's the same reason why I'm not impressed when Apple come out with statements like "250, 000 people downloaded the SDK. Isn't that fantastic!"

I'm a Software Engineer and downloaded it to have a play with. I fired it up once and haven't touched it since. I bet I'm not in the minority there.

In business, strategy is something that you have to look at from all directions. In going after a slice of the business market, Apple may have failed to consider a lot of factors here.

10. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

did any of you guys watch the WWDC? Apple already went over this they do offer encryption it was one of the 15 things or whatever that had to for the enterprise, this article is junk

11. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Wasn't that dealing with VPN though? I also don't remember Apple talking about the iPhone accepting authentication certificates, I am pretty sure Exchange needs those to send the mail in a secure fashion (or at least that is what MSDN/TECHNET is claiming).