Article: Apple planning several new Ipads

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dragoro, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

2. BrennerM macrumors regular

IMO there is no way they are going to put out a smaller (7") iPad in 2011. Might happen in future if competitor 7" tablets do really well, but won't happen in 2011, especially after what Jobs said only a couple of months ago about the lower usability factor of a small tablet.

3. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

4. Roadking macrumors 6502

Well you can't always believe what Jobs tells the press... When the color iPod (before the iPhone and iPod touch) came out. Steve said that there were no plans for video/movies to watch on the iPod. As you know today, this isn't the case.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

6. hariustrk macrumors member

Jobs says lots of things that are usually BS. He has to promote the current product line. If he tells everyone a 7" is on the way, he reduces the number of people who will buy the current product, as they will wait.

As it is I know a few people who have decided to wait for the new "lighter" ipad to come out Q1 next year.

7. Tunster macrumors 6502

A 7 inch tablet? The current Android ones are horrible enough to use and I wouldn't want anything smaller than my current 1st Gen one. Also, How can you make it any lighter without making it thinner or using different materials? The latter being less likely without putting the cost up.

IMHO, the first generation iPad is perfect and really they shouldn't mess around with the formula putting out different versions. It only needs some hardware upgrades which will be minor (screen/cameras/USB?). I think these news people are living in la-la land believing different versions will appear (several meaning more than 3). I can't imagine anything in between the size of the iPhone/iTouch and the iPad being useful. Especially with people who have fat fingers.

Let's just wait and see though. They'll be a lot of rumors/reports about different approaches Apple could take. Doing a like for like replacement of the current iPad will be the most likely outcome. Unless Steve has something else in mind to saturate the market even more without killing it's own sales.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that there are times and scenarios (perhaps more in the workplace) where a 7" tablet that you can hold in one hand and tap/key in data using the other hand would be a better option than a larger 9.7" tablet.

Personally I want a 12" or 13" tablet but that's because I don't use it on the move.

However I can also see a one handed tablet would be ideal in other scenarios.

As I say, especially in business, where having one hand free and the other hand holding the tablet could be a far better option.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think it's highly unlikely, a 7" screen doesn't make much sense, it's too big to fit in your pocket and if you want something that doesn't fit in your pocket you already have the current size iPad. I think this rumor is similar to the iPhone nano rumors that have been around before, it's not going to happen.

10. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I do this everyday with my iPad. I hold in one handed in landscape (letting it rest on my palm and forearm) and type with the other hand as I walk around. It works beautifully. I wouldn't want a 7" tablet where the keyboard would be smaller since I am often listening intently as I type while also watching where I'm going. The iPad's landscape keyboard is a great because it's size allows more greater inaccuracy, while it is also similar enough to a full-size keyboard that I can touch type (even one handed).

11. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Watch Star Trek :D

They are virtually always using tablets around the 7" Mark.

Ones that they can just about grasp around with one hand :D

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Perhaps I should make myself clear :)

I, for my home use want a larger screen Tablet. Not MASSIVE, but a bit larger would be nice. Another couple of inches.

That's what I personally would like.

I can also see that for some uses, esp when you are at work a 7" tablet would have advantages, something lighter, held in one hand, allowing the other hand to tap in numbers, jot down some notes on a sheet of paper, look through a pile of paper, pick up the phone.

It is rather silly to say one size is correct for every situation.

Most other things of this nature come in different sizes to suit different needs and it's just plain daft to say a tablet should only every be one size and that's that.

14. nexsta macrumors 6502

15. patchouli macrumors member

To me, it's just ridiculous that a supply chain partner would speak at all, and risk losing their company's contract due to lack of confidential information. It wouldn't be that hard to figure out which supplier may have spoken. Secondly, Jobs has already given valid reasons why he wasn't going with the small version. Perhaps this was a strategic 'leak' to keep competitors making the small ones, while iPad cleans up on the money.

PS where did the thread become off-topic, I must have missed it? :confused:

16. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

here is a pic of a case I saw on CNN

Attached Files:

17. macabouttobe macrumors regular

macabouttobe

I believe that if they were getting feedback from large Enterprise customers that they would use it if it were smaller, Apple would consider it.

18. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I don't think that we'll see a smaller iPad until the iPod Touch is discontinued. A 7" iPad doesn't make too much sense IMO, given the current Apple lineup.

When the AT&T iPhone exclusivity contract ends, then it makes sense to discontinue the iPod Touch and introduce a 7" iPad. Those who want something pocket-able will get an iPhone. Everyone else will choose from the two iPads.

19. Skika macrumors 68030

I dont know how an 7 inch iPad would be useless? What does that make the iPhone and the IPod touch? Since they all are basicaly the same, just smaller?

20. phu58 macrumors newbie

I honestly can't see the use of a front and back camera on such a big thing

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that 7" tablets offers no benefit as a tablet? :rolleyes:

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm with Piggie on this one, to a degree. I can see that in some situations, some people might have a use for a tablet that's bigger than the iPhone/touch but smaller than an iPad. However, I think the number of people who absolutely need that size is much smaller than commonly thought. In the absence of an 7 inch iPad, most people who think that size would be optimal could make do with either the touch or the current size iPad.

23. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

dont mind me i will just continue my dream of a 12 inch ipad with pressure sensitivity.

24. nwxtl88 macrumors member

It's interesting how many people state their opinion as if it is a fact when this subject comes up.

I think the iPad size at 9.7 inches is the best size, but see no reason why 7 inches wouldn't be better for other users. One thing that keeps getting ignored is that a lot of people have stated that whereas they like the size of the iPhone and iPod Touch, these devices are a little small and the iPad a little to big to conveniently carry around. Also, the sales of the Galaxy Tab (as crappy as it is according to many), around 1 million sold in two months indicates that at least 1 million people think a 7 inch tablet is the way to go.

Personally, I can see a use for one for my own needs. My Touch is too small for several uses, the current iPad fills that need perfectly (I hardly use the Touch any more). However, a 7 inch iPad might be better for many of those times when I carry the iPad out of the house, which is quite often.

As a couple people stated in this thread "if someone wants a smaller iPad, they could make do with an iPhone or iPod Touch". Why "make do." Why not buy a 7 inch iPad instead if it was available?

LR

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The front facing camera would be great for FaceTime.