Article: Apple Watch Might Be Company's Biggest Launch Ever

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by KauaiBruce, Apr 13, 2015.

1. WeatherMate macrumors member

2. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

If this truly was the biggest launch ever for a new Apple product, don't you think there would be a press release from Apple? Not saying they didn't sell 1 million, or more, but I find it strange that a company that loves dropping press releases for huge launches didn't. I think it did very well over the weekend, right inline with Apple's estimates. Estimates that have them putting it in the "Other" category when reporting earnings.

3. sterl320 macrumors 6502

Since when has Apple ever done a press release right after the weekend of a pre-order?

4. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

The funny thing is, of all the people I know irl/facebook I don't know anyone that said they're getting one.

There's gotta be someone out there!

5. Che Castro macrumors 603

Is gonna take a few years , I first started seeing iPhones everywhere when iphone 4 came out

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

1. Apple doesn't usually announce numbers until the Monday after the official launch, not the pre-order. Right now no one's account has been charged for the sale, so technically Apple hasn't sold any yet.

2. Unfortunately Apple announced during the last earnings call that they will not be sharing Apple Watch sale numbers and that the Watch will be categorizes together with Accessories (cases, chargers, headphones etc...), but then again based on the front page story anything can change.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1865424

7. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

The last time they announced pre-order numbers was for the record-breaking iPhone 6 last September.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/201...-Plus-Top-Four-Million-in-First-24-Hours.html

And iPhone 5:
    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/09/17iPhone-5-Pre-Orders-Top-Two-Million-in-First-24-Hours.html

And iPhone 4s:
    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/201...Orders-Top-One-Million-in-First-24-Hours.html

In fact, according to the next link, Apple has announced iPhone preorders for every iteration since the 3GS, except for the 5C, and we know how well that did.

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-stays-mum-on-iphone-5c-preorder-numbers/

I do admit, Apple does not appear to have done this with iPads. However, iPad sales have not be going the right direction for a while now, and that may have something to do with it. Again, if they were breaking records, they would be telling us. Perhaps that comes on the 27th.

I don't necessarily dispute the 1 million number, but do keep in mind that this is a company no one has ever heard of, without a good explanation of how they got those numbers. No one else has come out in support of the numbers that I have found, just republishing of the same analytic.

8. refslady macrumors regular

Don't they have an earnings call the Monday after the launch date? That could be an appropriate to make an announcement IF they want to make an announcement. On the other hand, they already said they weren't going to break out Watch sales separately, so they might not make any announcement.

9. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

I'd say just about the only people that preorder are people that keep up with tech. After we start getting ours and people see them, more and more people will want them (or not).

I was just out a week ago and a family sitting across from me was talking to someone that walked over to where they were sitting. The guy had a Pebble on, and when they asked what it was and he started showing them what it did, they got pretty excited about it.... and that's just a plastic Pebble. I'll bet when people start seeing :apple:Watch out and about, they will get very interested.

I'd agree it will take a year or two to start really catching on.

10. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I'm sure it'll be mentioned, but those sales are for last quarter, so it will likely only be in passing.

11. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

You may find this both enlightening and disturbing, but the company Slice released an app a long while back called, well, Slice, and it helps you track your purchases, give you shipment updates, etc. etc.

The way it does that is by the user giving "secured access" to their email accounts, to which their server will monitor incoming and stored messages, and extrapolate the necessary information.

Of course, in the fine print of Slice, you give them access to aggregate broad statistics and other information of all Slice users' extrapolated information "collected anonymously."

Personally, I don't think it's worth giving another company the keys to your entire email account just so it can help you keep track of your shopping habits, but they've guesstimated that 1M preorder mark from a collection of over 9,000 Slice accounts.

More information about Slice's app here: https://www.slice.com/

12. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I knew they had access to email accounts, I did not realize it was an app. I still would not put trust in the number from Slice. The 9000 is not probably a representative enough sample to be accurate. The number is more than enough, but the type of people installing it probably skew towards tech savvy, which could skew the number of orders for a tech device.

Again, it would not surprise me if the number is 1 million. However, I would not trust this companies statistics on their own without knowing a lot more at how they arrived at the number. People are using it because it's the only one out there.