[Article] Flip phones are hip again

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by gkarris, Nov 23, 2014.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Interesting article. Actually, I'm writing this on a new Netbook which replaced my old one that just died. I'm using it more than my Nexus and iPad 2. I guess the best designs always win out... :eek:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/20/tech/mobile/hip-flip-phones/index.html

2. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I remember when the Motorola Razr came out, people wanted it bad! Flipping was cool then.

3. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Still have one. Wish I had kept my StarTac as well.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No, no they're really not.

5. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Nice as a burner, but not not much there beyond that.

6. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

I thought most carriers switched to a newer versions of SIMs which are incompatible with "older" phones.

7. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

8. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I don't believe he meant 'older' in a sense of the technology. New flip phones are still for sale on all of the major carriers. I believe he meant the evolution of the SIM card; Full-size, Mini-SIM, Micro SIM, Nano SIM, ect.

9. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

I'd say the BlackBerry Q10 could qualify as a hipster smartphone in the sea of iPhones and Samsung Galaxies. I think it is sufficiently counter-culture.

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

One of the biggest killers of flip phones was E911 capability - Feds made it a requirement, and older phones didn't support it.

11. mclld macrumors 68000

I dont care how hip they are, I will never use one again or a small screen phone

12. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

My grandma loves her G'zone semi-indestructable flip phone. She worries that they will stop making the rugged flips, but Verizon still offers one or two..

Other than that, no...I definitely disagree with the premise of that article. If anything, I see it as something people might resort to who don't want to spend $100-250 per month on a plan full of smartphones...

13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Maaaan, I'd be thrilled at even $250 a month. Mine's pushing $375! :eek::eek:

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Actually, yes they did.

In fact, since about 2002 virtually all CDMA phones... flip or not... had a GPS receiver built-in for E911, which is why many of them could also run navigation software.

During a 911 call, the CDMA phone would send its raw GPS reception data to the carrier's servers, which then calculated the phone's location.

On the other hand, GSM phones from carriers like AT&T relied on using cell towers to triangulate the device's cellular signal. This resulted in about half the accuracy of the A-GPS method used by CDMA phones.

15. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I'm sorry, my cell phone experience pre-dates 2002. The First Phase II of E-911 ONLY supported Verizon wireless, even though Sprint was CDMA also. On October 20, 2001 St. Clair County (Ill.) was the first comm center in the country to provide Phase II wireless E911 service, but only for Verizon Wireless customers. Lake County (Ind.) began Phase II service shortly after that, and the state of Rhode Island 911 began state-wide Phase II on Dec. 21, 2001 only from Sprint PCS customers with assisted-GPS handsets.

Phase 1 was limited to only certain GTE customers, so it wasn't widespread.

Now that said, and from Wikipedia: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_9-1-1#Requirements)

E911 Phase 1: Wireless network operators must identify the phone number and cell phone tower used by callers, within six minutes of a request by a PSAP.
    E911 Phase 2
    95% of a network operator's in-service phones must be E911 compliant ("location capable") by December 31, 2005. (Several carriers missed this deadline, and were fined by the FCC.[4])
    Wireless network operators must provide the latitude and longitude of callers within 300 meters, within six minutes of a request by a PSAP.[5] Accuracy rates must meet FCC standards on average within any given participating PSAP service area by September 11, 2012 (deferred from September 11, 2008).[6]

So it's a LOT later than the dates you claim. While some phones may have had the capability you claim there was no mandate that they did until MUCH later and many lower tier handsets didn't support it. I may be old but my memory isn't totally shot just yet :)

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Excellent. So does mine. I've engineered for phone companies since the mid 90s.

(Failing) to meet E911 requirements was not dependent on the phone shape, and thus had nothing to do with flip phones being outsold by candybar phones.

It was more about the delay in getting the location, and that location still being inaccurate, especially if the user was indoors.

PS. The first half of your post was a copy&paste. Should always give a link for that, as well.

17. KillaMac Suspended

I still have my old star tac. Kept it for memories. Best phone I ever owned.

18. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

What about the Samsung Galaxy Golden?
    Flip Phone, but it was an Android phone. Amazing, really.