Article on Apple Tell: MacBook Pro update in Fall 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nostromo, Jul 24, 2011.

  1. Nostromo macrumors 65816

    Nostromo

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2009
    Location:
    Deep Space
    #1
  2. yly3 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2011
    #2
    Thanks a lot for this info ! I think I will buy the current 13", the only thing I was interested on was the GPU and I doubt they will make quad in it.
     
  3. Nostromo thread starter macrumors 65816

    Nostromo

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2009
    Location:
    Deep Space
    #3
    Take a look at the 13" MBA before you buy the 13" MBP.

    The MBA comes pretty close in processing power (not all the way, though, due to a low voltage processor).

    In regards to the MBP, the real upgrade will be the one after the fall.

    I suppose it will go closer to the MBA design: SSD as standard and no more spinning hard drive. And I hope it will still have a FireWire800 port (which I totally miss on the MBA)

    Not sure about that "liquid metal" rumor. I like aluminum.
     
  4. yly3 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2011
    #4
    Nah. I'm actually an 11" Air user and trust me, if you use this machine as your main you will get bored eventually and will miss the power of a real laptop. But, I made up my mind and I will wait for the early 2012 release. I mean it's like 6-8 months of waiting and I am in no rush.

    New design, maybe better battery life, better GPU, better mac overall.
     
  5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    #5
    Well, the top of the line MBA comes close, but at a price . . . and it has no upgradability, while the MBP at least supports upgraded RAM and hard drive, as well as allowing the possibility of using an optibay.

    Tradeoffs abound!
     
  6. Nostromo thread starter macrumors 65816

    Nostromo

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2009
    Location:
    Deep Space
    #6
    Do you have this year's or an older MBA?

    In regards to the 2012 release, yes, this should see a speed gain, SSD, and a weight loss ;)

    I'm in need of something more powerful now, and I'm considering buying either an 13" MBA or a 15" MBP and selling it again when the update comes.

    I just have to find out what the resale value of an 8 month old MBA or MBP is (the MBP will lose more when a brand new design comes out, but then it's also still under warranty).
     
  7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2011
    #7
    i doubt we will see an upgrade in the fall, even if its just specs, make no sense relly.

    the macbooks were just updated in february
     
  8. shansoft macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2011
    #8
    highly doubt apple will update this at all in this year.

    It makes no sense for them to just slightly upgrade the CPU without any major change.
     
  9. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #9
    Apple added a new high-end BTO option (2.8GHz i7) last year as well so this sounds likely. There won't be any fanfares, it's just an addition.
     
  10. yly3 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2011
    #10
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

    I have the base 2010 one but with 128SSD. In Europe these are selling for around 800-850 euros new but people don't even know yet about the new Air so I expect the price to drop another 50-80 in a month and stay there for a while. I think when the new Pros will come I will get on mine somewhere between 500-550 euros which is fine with me since that will be around 1/3 of the cash I'll pay for the pro and I am already gathering them so happy days lie ahead I guess :)
     
  11. Oxonian3 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2011
    Location:
    Trinidad
    #11
    nah,still gonna get my 17" 2011 MBP.Even if apple does a simple cpu refresh 200MHz is not a WOW factor.Refresh in my opinion is minor and highly unlikely
     
  12. Nostromo thread starter macrumors 65816

    Nostromo

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2009
    Location:
    Deep Space
    #12
    I'm going for a 15" MBP anti-glare end of July. Makes no sense waiting for a small upgrade and losing 2 months of mobility and quicker work (currently on an older iMac, no laptop).

    Just looked at the MBP again at the store: great machine! Weight-wise it's very light. For me, no need for a MBA right now, but for 4core processing power.

    The real upgrade will be in March. Add two months of ironing out little bugs in the new design through early adopter mass testing, the next purchase date would be May/June 2012.
     

Share This Page