Article: The MacBook Air Misses the Mark [as 12" PB replacement]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macjay, Jan 19, 2008.

1. macjay macrumors 6502

2. meagain macrumors 68030

3. macjay thread starter macrumors 6502

What's to get?

Are you saying that the MBA is a 12" PB replacement?

4. diabolic macrumors 68000

I am quite sure the MBA was not intended to be a 12" PB replacement.

I think it's an entirely different product with a different target market.

5. macjay thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly. Which is why those of us who were looking forward to a small MBP are disappointed.

6. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

The good news is my 12" PB is worth a fortune on ebay!

OK maybe not a fortune, but not bad for a 4-year old computer

7. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Thanks for the link. This is on point. I'm still thinking about a MacBook Air, but for that money it needs to be perfect and, well, there are compromises.

I remember thinking how perfect the G4 PowerBook was when it came out. I didn't buy the first one, but when when it go Mini-DVI instead of VGA, I was first in-line. There weren't ANY compromises - it was EXACTLY what I wanted in a laptop. I still use the same 1ghz machine daily, yet I've upgraded the iMac twice.

Come on Apple. I have the money (I've been spending it on your desktops) why not give us what we want?

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

9. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

One more thought on this - I suspect the issue is screen real estate. 1024 x 768 doesn't cut it and a higher resolution in a 12" form factor is hard to read for some folks. 13.3inch is where they're going to settle.

10. diabolic macrumors 68000

For me it's one of the main considerations. If the screen or keyboard were smaller, I wouldn't even consider buying the MBA. The footprint is a non-issue for me.

11. TheStu macrumors 65816

The MacBook Air is about 2" wider actually. I have both a 12" PowerBook and a 13.3" MacBook (and the Air is the same footprint as the MacBook), and the MacBook is noticeably wider.

12. Matiek macrumors member

When did apple ever say that they were going to make a new 12" PB? They never did. I'm sorry that apple didn't make the exact product that you wanted but the good news is, if you're willing to be open minded, the MBA is only an inch wider, slimmer and lighter. I promise you'll get more complements on a MBA than you did with your 12" PB.

13. macjay thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not looking for compliments -- I'm looking for a premium, full-featured, compact laptop from Apple.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, and I'm aware it feels much smaller in person. My point is it doesn't "appear" that much bigger in the picture, just as the MBA doesn't look that much smaller when placed on top of the 15" MBP in the other pictures.

15. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Definitely misses it. All Apple had to do was offer a machine matching the low-end MBP in a 13" form factor. Something like that would have sold like hotcakes when priced at the MBA's level. Instead, they tried to create another consumer-focused laptop by gutting a Macbook, coating it in aluminum, and calling it a revolution. Fail!

16. landis macrumors regular

are you ^^ smoking crack? the macbook air is way smaller than the the mbp in person and in pictures. i hate how everyone always assumes that apple should make the product exactly for them and not for the majority of buyers. if you want a 12" powerbook, buy one. has it ever occurred to you that apple doesnt spend millions of dollars on a product that has no intended market. they are probably trying to crack into a market that has yet to be tapped: women who take a computer with them, not just business men. this computer is very appealing to women because of its size and weight.

apple is not stupid, sure they could sell a hundred 12" mbp or they could actually make money!

17. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Apparently Apple isn't stupid, but the same can't be said for some posters.

18. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

...I don't think the MBA was intended to be a 12" PB replacement, or else Apple would have made it more 12" PB-like. The MBA misses as a refrigerator too.

19. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Yeah. It's annoying that I need to buy a refrigerator as well if I buy a MBA. :(

20. JWest macrumors 6502

Yes, but a lot of people want a 12" MBP (including myself), and apple gave us this instead. I don't think anyone wants a fridge from apple...

21. Catch macrumors 6502

That article was nothing more than a summary of all the winging on this forum. Another guys personal opinion, whom was upset to not get a 12". This group of people remind me of the people that are trying to bring back the cube.

I lost all respect for the author and stopped reading when I got to this part: "If I want a really light, thin, stripped down Mac for traveling, I've already got one: my iPhone."

Having said that, I agree it was a shame that they stopped producing that 12" form factor machine. I am surprised that a small machine like that with an optical drive built in would sell so little that Apple decided it not worth producing it. Then again, I actually loved the Cube, so maybe I just like odd and apparently useless machines... especially since I have ordered the MBA. :rolleyes:

I think 'more' choice is better than 'less', but I guess Apple want a tidier product line...

Regards,

C

22. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Definitely not intended as a replacement for the 12" PB. The MBA is the first computer built for complements. You don't even need clothes while wearing this thing. It's a social computer... it's not intended for usage while nobody is around. As soon as you see someone.. male or female.. just pop it open and start doing a mating ritual. It is also intended to solve the obesity problem in America. It's like a deflection cloak for fat computer users.

23. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Ever notice how the MBA fits in an envelope?

The same form factor envelope that is used in offices?

The same for factor envelope that business people all over stash in their breif/notebook/case? Along with papers/binders/book that also are the same footprint?

Thickness and weight are the important things. Giving it a smaller screen and keyboard would have been a pointless exercise.

24. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Love it! mine is prepared to ship :) everyone must whine about something!

25. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Folks, unless the size of the average person's hands starts decreasing, the footprint of laptops has gotten just about as small as it's going to get. In order for an average person to be able to type effectively, the keyboard can't be any smaller than a certain size; and if the keyboard is that wide and deep, then the screen should also be roughly that wide and deep. Those two constraints inform the minimum footprint size, at least until someone designs a keyboard and screen that collapse when the machine is closed. (Perhaps flexible screens, currently in development, will help with this process.)

If you want a smaller footprint, there are machines out there that are even smaller than the MBA. But their keyboards are sized for small children, and their screens are smaller and harder to read.

I don't understand why some people have a hard time grasping that these machines are designed to be used by adult (or teenage, at the very least) human beings. That imposes certain limitations on how small things can be and remain effectively usable.