Articles combating "apple tax" idea

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hookem12387, Jan 26, 2009.

1. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

I recently read a couple great articles talking about how the "apple tax" isn't real, as they use better overall components (faster fsb, newer video cards, etc...), but cant find anything anywhere now. Anyone help?

2. fishniw macrumors regular

i'm pretty sure it is real but i'd be interested to read that so i'll try and find it for ya

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The new 9400M based White Macbook is the only piece of Apple hardware that you're not getting suckered on the hardware.

Everything else short of the Mac Pro, it's a workstation, is overpriced and underpowered. The MacBook Pro has been getting progressively worse as well. The iMac and Mac mini need to catch up with 2007.

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Macs are far more expensive than a standard PC. They use the same internal components as any other computer.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

There's not a single Apple product that I would recommend right now. For example, for $500 you can get a 2.5ghz Dell with 3 gigs or RAM and a 19" LCD. For $100 more, you can have the privilege of owning a lesser computer with an Apple logo on it.

Their whole line is like that. Unless you buy right when they update, it's really not worth it. Even if you buy right when they're updated, this Macbook/Pro refresh wasn't really worth it. You are literally paying the "Apple Tax", no if, ands, or buts!

6. billp1 macrumors newbie

It is really a fee so you don't have to use Windows . Worth every cent .

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

So you spend $500 and then what? It will not run Aperture or Logic. What good is a computer if it can't run the software you use?

Same thing if you are buying a computer to use as a video game console. A Mac would be a poor choice.

The entire point of having a computer is so you can run software. Pick the software you need then buy the computer that best runs the software. If your software needs Mac OS X then geting a $500 Dell even for free is not much use.

8. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I'm with you in this belief.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Windows tax:

Real cost of Windows Virus
    http://www.macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/19314/

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article693-page4.html

10. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

It's no secret that Apple makes a far bigger margin on their computers than most manufacturers. This is why they are able to have a small share of the market yet be sitting on nearly 30 billion in cash. This is why Apple is not in the netbook business- to meet their margins they would have to charge more than they think the computer would ultimately be worth and that the market response would be poor because of it. They have no interest right now in selling a machine so close to cost. A $300 netbook may generate sales but it does not generate profit unless the volume is tremendous.

Plus, though people will argue this until they are blue in the face, but Apple definitely does use some parts that are more expensive than say a manufacturer like Gateway or Dell. The generic PC manufactures make their profits in volume sales while Apple makes their profit through lower sales coupled with much higher margins.

That is what I have always though of as the Apple tax. For me, the quality of the hardware coupled with the OS is worth the extra cost. Every Apple computer I have used has been quality and lasted far beyond the life of the PC's I've owned.

Ultimately, it is a personal choice. Like most things in life, you pay more for quality. And I have always felt that Apple computer's quality has justified their price tag.