Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
So, I've been working my Dad to get him to make the switch. It hasn't been easy, as my brother (who's a total computer geek, btw) despises Macs and loves all things Microsoft. But we were in a BestBuy yesterday, and they had a $500 Mac Mini (I think it's old stock, it only came w/ 256megs of ram). Needless to say, he was very intrigued by the price and mighty impressed by its size.

So to try and seal the deal, I want to show him some articles about how Macs are virus-free. He's sick of how Windows is always at risk and needs hourly security updates.

If anyone has some good links to articles meant for normal people who don't know computers as well as some people here, I'd appreciate it. Operation: Get My Dad to Switch Teams Not In The Gay Way (Not That There's Anything Wrong With That), But Rather In a Computer Sense is coming along nicely, I just need to attack on another front so to speak.

This is all funny, cause I don't even have my iMac yet. He might even have one before I do.

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
generationxwing said:
So, I've been working my Dad to get him to make the switch. It hasn't been easy, as my brother (who's a total computer geek, btw) despises Macs and loves all things Microsoft. But we were in a BestBuy yesterday, and they had a $500 Mac Mini (I think it's old stock, it only came w/ 256megs of ram). Needless to say, he was very intrigued by the price and mighty impressed by its size.

So to try and seal the deal, I want to show him some articles about how Macs are virus-free. He's sick of how Windows is always at risk and needs hourly security updates.

If anyone has some good links to articles meant for normal people who don't know computers as well as some people here, I'd appreciate it. Operation: Get My Dad to Switch Teams Not In The Gay Way (Not That There's Anything Wrong With That), But Rather In a Computer Sense is coming along nicely, I just need to attack on another front so to speak.

This is all funny, cause I don't even have my iMac yet. He might even have one before I do.

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

Go to
apple.com/switch :cool:

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Other helpful supporting evidence can be found at the Consumer Reports' website.
Here's a link about tech support ratings among all computer companies, showing Apple ranks first in both desktop & laptop tech support.
This is a link to a description of the Mac Mini where it mentions "...minimal exposure to viruses and spyware..." Beware, though, it does mention that if you don't already have a monitor, keyboard & mouse, that the total cost may not be that cheap after all. Just wanted to warn you that it wasn't a pure glowing review.
Lastly, this is their "Buying Advice" page - it too mentions Apple's benefit when it comes to viruses & spyware.

I know firsthand what a difficult process it can be to convert one's parents to the Mac world - let me assure, though, if your dad is anything like my parents, he will LOVE it when he finally gets it!

Best wishes!

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
There is no benefit buying the older version Mini
at Best Buy when you get the upgraded 512 RAM AND
Bluetooth AND Airport standard on the new verson
direct from Apple.

The new Mini's are quite attractive, but you should also show your parents the 12" iBooks and 17" 2.0
iMac G5's.

You can also save quite a bit if anyone if your family
qualifies for the education discounts.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Ok kid, I remember being in your shoes back in the mid-90's and really want to help get you that new Mac.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1851658,00.asp

You need to read down a little bit to see how Apple is getting props from this "PC" Magazine (like I really need the quotation marks).
Good Luck.

Oh, and as for your brother (hopefully little brother). Tell him to go lock himself in his room and be a geek. In 5 years when he still hasn't talked to a girl you'll really have something to give him sh"i"t about.

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
AstrosFan said:
Other helpful supporting evidence can be found at the Consumer Reports' website.
Here's a link about tech support ratings among all computer companies, showing Apple ranks first in both desktop & laptop tech support.
This is a link to a description of the Mac Mini where it mentions "...minimal exposure to viruses and spyware..." Beware, though, it does mention that if you don't already have a monitor, keyboard & mouse, that the total cost may not be that cheap after all. Just wanted to warn you that it wasn't a pure glowing review.
Lastly, this is their "Buying Advice" page - it too mentions Apple's benefit when it comes to viruses & spyware.

I know firsthand what a difficult process it can be to convert one's parents to the Mac world - let me assure, though, if your dad is anything like my parents, he will LOVE it when he finally gets it!

Best wishes!

Some good articles, thanks.

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
FFTT said:
This article from Jim Lynch of Extremetech
Thanks for another good article. I'm soon hoping to make the switch having decided against it 2 years ago when I bought my current XP laptop.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
There is no better time to get aquainted with Mac OS X.

The important thing to remember right now is that we are all going to see drastic changes in hardware over the next 12-18 months, so the key is to get what you really need and don't go overboard.

Any Mac you buy will hold you for at least 4 years if not longer for every day use.

Power users may need to adapt more quickly, but most users will be perfectly fine with any product they select today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.