Artifacting Problems with EVGA GTX 285 Video Card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BRIANinDIGITAL, Apr 8, 2009.

1. BRIANinDIGITAL macrumors newbie

I just installed my new EVGA GTX 285 Video card yesterday on my mac pro and started to play Crysis when a minute into the game it starts artifacting. Right when it happens the cards fan stops spinning fast. My computer doesn't shut down though I can blindly exit the game and go into windows with the display being fine as soon as i exit. I called EVGA techincal support and at first they told me to uninstall and reinstall the video card drivers. When that didn't work they asked me what motherboard I had and when I told them I had a mac pro they immediatley stopped offering support. I looked on their forums and found that this problem is known with no real solution except for running driver sweeper, which i did with no luck. The power configuration i have is one cable running from the optical bay and one from the logic board. I am awaiting delivery of my ati powercord tomorrow so i can run two from the logicboard and that is the last option before i return it to buy.com. If anyone has any suggestions on what might be the problem it would be greatly appreciated. If not I hope this will inform people about the problems the EVGA are having with their video cards. Going to try BFG next.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Nasty that they cut off support since you were using a Mac Pro.

Are you using the latest drivers? What does GPU-Z show about the temperature while in a game of the GPU?

3. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

it sounds like a software problem, because a Mac pro booting windows should not differ from a PC. The card is probably overheating as the fan stops... Anyway, it's safe to use good power cables as this card is quite power-hungry when under load. Perhaps the supply voltage drops under a critical value when the card is highly stressed, causing this error... Have you tried any other games besides Crysis, does the card always react like that?

4. BRIANinDIGITAL thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone who responded, i appreciate it. From what i am reading on the forums it is a software issue, specifically a faulty evga driver. Seems like some people got some luck reformatting hd which i am unwilling to do. i read somewhere that asus video cards are known for reliability. Anyone got suggestions on what brands to buy?

5. Sharangad macrumors member

Have you tried using the standard nvidia reference drivers from nvidia.com?

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Assuming it is a driver issue, switching to the ASUS may not solve the problem. At least if both are the same design. If not, who knows, but it's a gamble.

See if you can track down drivers directly from nVidia first, as Sharangad posted.

Good luck. :)

7. jons macrumors 6502

What kind of temp are you getting under load?

What the Fr@k would EVGA discontinue support for installing in a mac pro? Just tell them you're using it in an EVGA board...;)