Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The artistic effects available in popular photo manipulation app Prisma can now be applied to up to 15 seconds of video (via Mashable).

The company behind Prisma announced the new "beta" feature for iOS devices on Thursday, and said a total of nine styles are currently available for video, but that number is set to "soar weekly".

prisma-800x710.jpg

The styles include Candy, Cold Fish, Paper Art, Illegal Beauty, Tokyo, Gothic, Curly Hair, The Scream, and Roy.

The video support was made possible because of a change to the way the app processes effects, which now happen locally on the device, rather than on Prisma's servers.

According to Prisma, video processing time depends on the device: on an iPhone 7, it will take around 30 seconds to process a 15-second video, but that time approximately doubles on an iPhone 6S. 

Prisma uses the predictive analyses of DeepDream-esque neural network technology to achieve its stylistic interpretations, which typically makes them more unique than standard photo filters. The developers also plan to add GIF support "very soon", while filter quality will continue to be improved.

Prisma is a free download on the App Store for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Artistic Photo Editing App 'Prisma' Now Supports Video Clips

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
"Prisma can now be applied to up to 15 seconds of video"

You said "up to (no more than ) 15 seconds of video." This is not true. Mashable did not say this.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
It's funny how people complained about the Fujifilm X-Trans sensor in their $1000 cameras because it smeared the grass when pixel peeping following processing in certain RAW photo importers (I write in past tense because I think the issue is largely solved with updates), and here that is a feature. :D

To be honest, I think the output of this looks more like a moron trying out oil painting than something "artistic".

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
I love using this tool. I do wish they would make it possible to choose the native aspect ratio of photos taken from the iPhone, in addition to the square photos they already support.

That, I'm interested in trying out this new video processing.

Reactions: rp2011

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Truly amazing app. It rendered video with the effects on my 7plus amazingly fast.

tarf

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2015
Prisma works in a different way, plus you have to realise the scale/load.

Actually Style (http://macdaddy.io/style) works in exactly the same way as Prisma. And they are both using neural nets / AI. Style can process unlimited (no 15 second restriction) video and has been able to for months.

Neither invented the concept. This is the original paper on (fast) style transfer, which in turn is based upon the truly original paper which is about the concept transfer of artistic style (slowly, requiring a big GPU: https://arxiv.org/abs/1508.06576)

Reference that both Style and Prisma use: https://arxiv.org/abs/1603.08155

Prisma weren't even the first iOS app to do it. They were just the first to do it for free.

Reactions: OldSchoolMacGuy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.