Artwork appears dull in iTunes.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jolly Jimmy, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

iTunes is displaying artwork too dark. I already had this issue on 10.5.8 and itunes 8.2.1, now I'm on 10.6.1 (clean install) and itunes 9.0.1 and the problem is still there.

Here's a couple of screenshots : The quicklook view which shows the artwork in its true colours, and the dark version itunes gives me.

Is anyone else having the same trouble? Can someone maybe shed some light on the matter?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know where you get your artwork, but I've never liked the quality of artwork that iTunes downloads. I get all my artwork by searching Google or using sites like Album Art Exchange, which has much higher quality artwork.

As for the difference between iTunes and Finder, it's just a matter of them using different methods to display the art. I find that iTunes is more accurate than Finder.
    Quick View:
    Picture 3.jpg
    iTunes Cover Flow:
    Picture 4.jpg
    iTunes Get Info:
    Picture 5.jpg

3. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Steve Jobs may think that the iTunes Store offers "gorgeous" album art, but it's actually rather low quality. For high quality artwork, go to http://www.albumartexchange.com

4. Jolly Jimmy thread starter macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I'm also a fan of high quality artwork, and I don't have an iTunes account for fetching artwork anyway. Here is the actual file I use for artwork for the album Love. I don't understand why itunes displays it duller than the finder, or how it could be displaying it more accurately as you say. I mean the Finder, Safari and Preview all display it in the same manner, why shouldn't iTunes?

Attached Files:

5. cjmal macrumors 6502

I have the exact same problem. Ever since upgrading to Snow Leopard, i've noticed that my album art is noticeably darker on iTunes. I've also noticed that if i don't assign a color profile to the image in Photoshop, it looks fine on iTunes but looks incredibly light on my iPod. Has anyone found a solution to this other than switching back to the 1.8 gamma profile?