As a first time iMac buyer should I wait for Ivy Bridge?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iRobby, May 4, 2011.

1. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

After reading Intel's 'Ivy Bridge' Platform to Utilize 3-D Transistors and USB3 I'm thinking maybe I should wait til 2012 to get my first iMac and just concentrate on getting the iPad2 and iphone 5 this year. It would give me more time to save money and not be broke each month. I now have enough money for the iPad2.

What should I do. It sounds like this USB3 and Ivy Bridge will be revolutionary and I want the iMac I buy to be up to par with the current technology for years to come despite I'm dying to move from a PC NOW.

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Of course, once Ivy Bridge is released there will be an anoucement of the next "latest and greatest" technology from intel.

You can never fully beat the technology curve. There will always be something better down the road. If you don't need the iMac today, and can get by on your computing needs through the iPad, then wait. But if you need an iMac, now's the time to purchase.

3. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Well, I need the graphics NOW

This is the set up I have now:
    • 3.00GHZ Intel (R) Pentium 4
    • 1GB 400MHz DDR2 SDRAM"
    • 250GB Serial ATA Drive (7200RPM) Replacement 3/6/07
    • 160 GB Serial ATA Drive (7200RPM) Original
    • ATI Radeon X300 SE with 128MB memory

But it sounds like the current iMacs with USB2 will not be current technologically for as long as I'd like to keep this iMac i buy at least 5 years.

CONFUSED

4. Ravich macrumors 6502a

I always find those sorts of responses somewhat irritating when the topic creator actually refers to specific technological improvements. USB3 isnt just your average "next step up" upgrade.

Ask yourself this: what do you use your computer for? Will a faster processor help? Do you even know the answer to that question?

Will USB3 be a significant improvement for you over USB2? Is there anything that USB3 will be able to do for you that thunderbolt cant?

5. simsaladimbamba

And the current iMac also has Firewire 800 and now Thunderbolt, and TB will be loads faster than USB 3.0, and there will be USB 3.0 to TB or vice versa adapters out there one day.

6. Ravich macrumors 6502a

USB is backwards compatible. The only benefit USB3 holds is speed. Anything USB in the next 5 years will be usable with USB2 ports.

7. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Then don't buy, and you will always be waiting for the next big thing, if you need the latest and greatest, buy yearly, if you don't buy now, it's that simple:rolleyes:

8. Vylen macrumors 65816

Dunno why you need USB3 so urgently.

If anything, with the increase of devices with Thunderbolt there will probably be USB3 hubs that can plug into the Thunderbolt port.

So in other words, just get the current new iMacs. You really can't go wrong.

9. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Hmm.. Good points maybe I shouldn't be fixated on the USB3 since Thunderbolt is faster and within the 5 years there definitely be Thunderbolt devices. other than the USB 3 will Sandy be a dinosaur in 2 years time vs Ivy?

10. willisbr macrumors newbie

Sounds like some kid. I need an ipad2, iPhone 5, and newest iMac? And I'm trying to decide in what order? And I'm upgrading from a 2002 computer and I NEED THE GRAPHICS NOW? For what?? If you want a Mac so bad, go buy a refurb for cheaper. Given your posts, trust me. You don't NEED the new Mac. and no you didn't just try to talk about USB3. Ugh. Http://www.nickelodeon.com please.

11. Ravich macrumors 6502a

No. This is never the case.

And like I said, what do you even use your computer for?

12. Dute macrumors member

If you're focused on those possible options so much, you can always sell the 2011 iMac before next the refresh next year.

It comes down to this:

The next model will (almost)always be faster, sleeker, and have better technology. Buy what you need now, otherwise you'll just be waiting and missing out on the CURRENT technology.

13. sth macrumors 6502a

The problem with Intel is: They always announce their next steps months in advance.

When the last generation (Nehalem) iMacs came out, Intel announced Sandy Bridge as the best thing since sliced bread. Now that the Sandy Bridge iMacs are out, Intel announces Ivy Bridge. Once the Ivy Bridge iMacs are out, Intel will announce Haswell. Once the Haswell iMacs are out, Intel will announce Rockwell, ...

Fact is: Ivy Bridge will still be quad-core for the mainstream CPUs and also not a completely new architecture, so don't expect incredibly huge performance jumps. http://vr-zone.com/articles/ivy-bri...rmance-advantage-over-sandy-bridge/11061.html

And besides: CPU performance isn't that relevant anymore, unless you're doing heavy-duty stuff like video compression or rendering. You'll get far more real-world performance from a current iMac with an SSD drive than you'll get from any Ivy Bridge iMac with a conventional hard-drive.

In any case, the performance difference to your current system will be tremendous.

Thunderbolt-to-USB3 adapters have already been announced (prices and availability still unknown, though).

From a technological point of view, Thunderbolt is a much bigger thing than USB3. The possibilities of this interface are huge.

14. Diesel-Benz macrumors member

Wait until 2112, I hear they will have some GREAT new computers that year!

15. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Nothing will be "current technologically" for five years, if I understand you correctly.

16. Eudall macrumors newbie

You need to answer yourself three simple questions:
    1) What would I like to do on a new machine that my currentnone cannot do?
    2) What do I want to see from USB3 and the other technologies I am concerned about?
    3) Ivy Bridge iMacs are probably 9-12 months away, can I wait that long based on answers to 1 and 2.

Personslly, I could not wait any longer, I know Ivy Bridge will bring some good technologies, but first iterations of new chip sets aren't always that great, SB is perfect as Intel has perfected it's i7 design over 2/3 development cycles.

If you say you need 'the graphics NOW', then buy an iMac now...

Also please don't sit on forums pondering the 'should I wait for a product refresh', you'll simply annoy people as the refresh was YESTERDAY!

17. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

According to AnandTech, Ivy Bridge provides an ~18% boost at the same frequency vs Sandy Bridge.

The bigger advantage of Ivy Bridge is power consumption, which you really don't need to worry about in an iMac.

The 2011 iMac will provide you with a ton of horsepower for a long time.

18. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Only reason to wait for Ivy Bridge is DX11, USB 3, cooler/power efficient chips. If those are really important to you then wait. Otherwise...

19. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

buy now, its just been updated!

My imac is getting close to its 4th birthday and I couldn't be happier with it. Its going to be fine for several more years. Your new imac will definitely be a great machine for many years! don't get your head wrapped up in what will come out in a year, if you do that you'll never update...

20. sth macrumors 6502a

No reason to wait for that since it only applies to the builtin GPU, which the iMacs don't use anyway.
    Current iMac GPUs are all DX11-compatible.

21. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Excuse me, first of all I'm not a kid second, I'm trying to make the wisest choice. As far as cheaper that is not a problem but thanks

22. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Well, I appreciate everyone's input thank you very much. due to the fact that I wish to switch to an iMac and the slight differences pointed out to me I decided to not wait. As far as me wanting everything yes, I may be being overzealous and for that I apologize. It just that once I bought my iPhone 3GS back in Oct 2009 and for thew record I didn't jump on the band wagon and get iPhone 4.

I also didn't purchase the iPad1. But after my iPhone purchase I have seen how user friendly and technologically advanced Apple products are I have decided that I want to abandon Windows and PCs. I think a 6 year old computer warrants a new one and that one happens to be an iMac by choice again thank you for your help.

23. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Buy a machine when you need it. If you were out of food would you delay going to the store by a week so you could buy milk with a "sell by" date stamped a week later?

There is always going to new technology to roll around and light the speed of light, you can't catch it.

Specifically to your question, there is no guarantee Apple is going to directly support USB 3. They may well just add more TB ports and tell people to buy adapter or dongles. TB is quite adaptable that way.

Also, the great thing about Macs is that they hold their value much better than PCs. It's not hard to sell a one year old Mac and get good money for it if you are hell bent on upgrading hardware. Odds are though the 2011 iMacs are going to be relevant 3-4 years down the road though.

24. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Thanks! this is what I'd be going from and going to:

This is the set up I have now:

Dell Dimension E510
    • 3.00GHZ Intel (R) Pentium 4
    • 1GB 400MHz DDR2 SDRAM"
    • 250GB Serial ATA Drive (7200RPM) Replacement 3/6/07
    • 160 GB Serial ATA Drive (7200RPM) Original
    • ATI Radeon X300 SE with 128MB memory

Will purchase:

iMac 27"
    • 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with 6MB on-chip shared L3 cache
    • 16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM 4x4GB (upgrade myself)
    • 1TB Serial ATA Drive (7200RPM) + 256GB Solid State Drive
    • AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 2GB GDDR5 SDRAM memory

25. wirelessness macrumors 6502

There is already a Thunderbolt to Fiber Channel adapter that allows you to connect to SAN devices. I would imagine a Thunderbolt to USB3 adapter would not be too far fetched to expect in the near future.